Potential of RPWD 2016 Act as game changer diluted by poor implementation
The RPWD Act 2016 is meant to be a game changer for disabled people in India. The provisions of the Act have the potential to substantially improve the lives of people with disabilities. However, the reality is that much of this impact is not being felt due to poor implementation. Many people with disabilities are still waiting to get the benefits of jobs and admissions as prescribed by the Act.
Take the case of 35-year-old Nirmal Rajarora, a visually impaired woman based in New Delhi. Rajarora has been struggling to get a job for the past many years.
The RPWD 2016 Act provides for 4% reservation for disabled people in public and private sector jobs. The reality is that most disabled candidates are rejected when they apply for jobs. Which explains why the average employment rate among disabled people is a poor 0.28% in the private sector and 0.54% in the public sector./p>
Rajarora has highlighted this apathy. She has asked authorities why she was not being allowed to write a post office selection exam, even though her initial application was accepted.
She says that disabled people are rejected when they apply for jobs for some reason or the other. This is sheer injustice as equal opportunity in education and jobs are a must to live a better life.
Rajarora runs a welfare association for the blind in Delhi called Deep Welfare Association. It runs out of a small shed with the help of a few donations. Here, seven to eight visually impaired students come together and study.
The discrimination on the jobs front is also due to the lack of awareness about the RPWD 2016 Act. Many companies are not even aware that there is a job reservation for disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility October 21, 2018 Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Headlines October 14, 2018 Industry 4.0 will create jobs, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News