A Kolkata cafe that is bringing a healing touch to the lives of many
People with mental illnesses battle stigma at many fronts in India. They are often isolated inside their homes and by the outside world.
A cafe in Kolkata is helping to bring the smiles back on the faces of many people who have been abandoned because they were mentally ill. Called Crust & Core, the cafe employs women who are battling depression, schizophrenia, and other mental health issues.
People like 21-year-old Haripriya, who was found alone and frightened over a year ago near a city police station. She had been brought to Kolkata from her hometown in Maharashtra by her uncle and abandoned.
Today Haripriya is a star employee at Crust & Core. She loves to bake and plans to sign up for a baking course.
The cafe was started in February this year by the NGO Iswar Sankalpa. Most of the workers here are residents of the NGO's shelter at Chetla.
Before the cafe was opened, 21 women living at the shelter were chosen for training by professional chefs. Ten opted out as they did not feel confident.
From pastries to pastas, the cafe stocks a range of desserts and savouries. These can also be ordered online. It is open all days of the week, except Mondays from 1 pm to 8 pm.
The 12-member cafe team has duties assigned based on their social and other skills. Some enjoy working in the cafe with customers while others prefer being in the kitchen.
Watch in Sign Language
- Career choices for people with autism
November 11, 2018
- Career options for people with learning disabilities
November 9, 2018
- Some tips to manage the workplace for adults with ADHD
October 30, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Delhi pollution at hazardous levels after Diwali celebrations
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Accessibility November 10, 2018 Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Air India pilot found drunk before flight
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Employment November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018