A Kolkata cafe that is bringing a healing touch to the lives of many
People with mental illnesses battle stigma at many fronts in India. They are often isolated inside their homes and by the outside world.
A cafe in Kolkata is helping to bring the smiles back on the faces of many people who have been abandoned because they were mentally ill. Called Crust & Core, the cafe employs women who are battling depression, schizophrenia, and other mental health issues.
People like 21-year-old Haripriya, who was found alone and frightened over a year ago near a city police station. She had been brought to Kolkata from her hometown in Maharashtra by her uncle and abandoned.
Today Haripriya is a star employee at Crust & Core. She loves to bake and plans to sign up for a baking course.
The cafe was started in February this year by the NGO Iswar Sankalpa. Most of the workers here are residents of the NGO's shelter at Chetla.
Before the cafe was opened, 21 women living at the shelter were chosen for training by professional chefs. Ten opted out as they did not feel confident.
From pastries to pastas, the cafe stocks a range of desserts and savouries. These can also be ordered online. It is open all days of the week, except Mondays from 1 pm to 8 pm.
The 12-member cafe team has duties assigned based on their social and other skills. Some enjoy working in the cafe with customers while others prefer being in the kitchen.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines January 16, 2019 India beats Australia by 6 wickets in second ODI
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Headlines January 16, 2019 Kumbh Mela 2019 begins in Prayagraj
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News