A Kolkata cafe that is bringing a healing touch to the lives of many
June 1, 2018
People with mental illnesses battle stigma at many fronts in India. They are often isolated inside their homes and by the outside world.
A cafe in Kolkata is helping to bring the smiles back on the faces of many people who have been abandoned because they were mentally ill. Called Crust & Core, the cafe employs women who are battling depression, schizophrenia, and other mental health issues.
People like 21-year-old Haripriya, who was found alone and frightened over a year ago near a city police station. She had been brought to Kolkata from her hometown in Maharashtra by her uncle and abandoned.
Today Haripriya is a star employee at Crust & Core. She loves to bake and plans to sign up for a baking course.
The cafe was started in February this year by the NGO Iswar Sankalpa. Most of the workers here are residents of the NGO's shelter at Chetla.
Before the cafe was opened, 21 women living at the shelter were chosen for training by professional chefs. Ten opted out as they did not feel confident.
From pastries to pastas, the cafe stocks a range of desserts and savouries. These can also be ordered online. It is open all days of the week, except Mondays from 1 pm to 8 pm.
The 12-member cafe team has duties assigned based on their social and other skills. Some enjoy working in the cafe with customers while others prefer being in the kitchen.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Poll results today, NDA prepares for Term 2
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News