A Kolkata cafe that is bringing a healing touch to the lives of many
June 1, 2018
People with mental illnesses battle stigma at many fronts in India. They are often isolated inside their homes and by the outside world.
A cafe in Kolkata is helping to bring the smiles back on the faces of many people who have been abandoned because they were mentally ill. Called Crust & Core, the cafe employs women who are battling depression, schizophrenia, and other mental health issues.
People like 21-year-old Haripriya, who was found alone and frightened over a year ago near a city police station. She had been brought to Kolkata from her hometown in Maharashtra by her uncle and abandoned.
Today Haripriya is a star employee at Crust & Core. She loves to bake and plans to sign up for a baking course.
The cafe was started in February this year by the NGO Iswar Sankalpa. Most of the workers here are residents of the NGO's shelter at Chetla.
Before the cafe was opened, 21 women living at the shelter were chosen for training by professional chefs. Ten opted out as they did not feel confident.
From pastries to pastas, the cafe stocks a range of desserts and savouries. These can also be ordered online. It is open all days of the week, except Mondays from 1 pm to 8 pm.
The 12-member cafe team has duties assigned based on their social and other skills. Some enjoy working in the cafe with customers while others prefer being in the kitchen.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 #WonderWoman - Priya Bhargav embodies the warrior spirit in many ways
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News