A Kolkata cafe that is bringing a healing touch to the lives of many
June 1, 2018
People with mental illnesses battle stigma at many fronts in India. They are often isolated inside their homes and by the outside world.
A cafe in Kolkata is helping to bring the smiles back on the faces of many people who have been abandoned because they were mentally ill. Called Crust & Core, the cafe employs women who are battling depression, schizophrenia, and other mental health issues.
People like 21-year-old Haripriya, who was found alone and frightened over a year ago near a city police station. She had been brought to Kolkata from her hometown in Maharashtra by her uncle and abandoned.
Today Haripriya is a star employee at Crust & Core. She loves to bake and plans to sign up for a baking course.
The cafe was started in February this year by the NGO Iswar Sankalpa. Most of the workers here are residents of the NGO's shelter at Chetla.
Before the cafe was opened, 21 women living at the shelter were chosen for training by professional chefs. Ten opted out as they did not feel confident.
From pastries to pastas, the cafe stocks a range of desserts and savouries. These can also be ordered online. It is open all days of the week, except Mondays from 1 pm to 8 pm.
The 12-member cafe team has duties assigned based on their social and other skills. Some enjoy working in the cafe with customers while others prefer being in the kitchen.
Watch in Sign Language
- Sample these wholesome & delicious cookies baked by people with Down syndrome at Satya Bakery
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Headlines August 24, 2019 United Nation supports Priyanka Chopra
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News