3D printed human corneas hold the potential to combat blindness
Across the world, human corneas are available in limited quantities, which limits the number of corneal implants that can be done. Now, this could change thanks to new research.
The cornea is the outermost layer of the eye. It needs to be replaced in people with corneal blindness. However, the huge shortage of eye donors puts restrictions on the number of corneal implants that can take place.
Researchers at the Newcastle University in the United Kingdom have found a solution. They have printed human corneas using 3D printers.
This could change the lives of thousands of people as 3D-printed human corneas can be used for patients with vision loss due to corneal diseases like trachoma.
Data shows that there are around 10 million people in the world who need corneal implants to prevent blindness.
The artificial corneas have been made using donor cornea stem cells mixed with collagen to form a printable solution or gel. This is then fed to to a 3D printer to print out a cornea.
The research could mean an unlimited supply of corneas and hope for those with corneal defects.
Watch in Sign Language
- Microsoft introduces real-time captions and translations to Skype and PowerPoint
December 17, 2018
- Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
December 10, 2018
- Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
December 5, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018