The new Axel electronic device will help blind people move around freely!
June 5, 2018
There are millions of blind people across the world. One of the biggest hardships that they face is moving from one place to another freely. Over the years, many inventions have been made to make lives of blind people easier. But here is something novel created by a duo who lives in two separate parts of the world!
15 year old Axel Toro Vega who lives in Puerto Rico and 18 year old Jane Hantanto from Indonesia have created a unique hand band that can help blind people mobilise easily! The Axel electronic device was revealed at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) in the United States.
Axel electronic device uses ultrasound in order to help people know things happening around them. The device does not use high sounds. It uses reasonable frequency so that the user does not get affected by the high sound.
A stamp size computer chip controls the ultrasound from the device. The sound waves travel from the device and bounce back to the receiver. It calculates the time that is required to bounce back to return. The faster it bounces back, the closer the object is.
The device has already been tested on many blind people. Even though the Axel device is not yet perfect, its inventors are working on it to make it ideal for blind users!
Watch in Sign Language
- With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
March 14, 2019
- BDD Assist aims to revolutionise lives of blind and deaf people, gets mixed reviews
March 9, 2019
- Raised Line Foundation, an IIT-Delhi initiative, is working to bring the power of choice to visually impaired students
March 5, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Learn valuable self-defense techniques at this session for disabled women in Mumbai
- Events March 14, 2019 Fun Club
- Education March 13, 2019 With exams round the corner, visually impaired students struggle for scribes
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Headlines March 15, 2019 U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
- Events March 13, 2019 Sign Language Movement
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News