Central government provides assistive devices to disabled people in Sikkim
The Samajik Adhikarita Shivir was an exclusive programme for disabled people that was held at Gangtok in Sikkim. Krishnan Pal Gurjar, Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment was the chief guest at the event. He promised many benefits to disabled people from Sikkim from central government.
More than Rs 6 lakh will be spent by the central government for cochlear implants of children who are from poor families. In order to get the right statistics, the minister has requested concerned officials to provide a detailed list of children with hearing impairments.
Nearly 800 people who attended the event were provided with assistive devices, wheelchairs, walking sticks and digital hearing aids.
More than 200 people received various devices, and the rest will be handed over to beneficiaries from their local authorities.
Gurjar said that he is glad that Sikkim has rightly implemented the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. He also added that a local artificial limbs manufacturing company is expected to kick-start in Sikkim.
Disabled children from across Sikkim showcased their talents through many dance and music programmes at the event. Gurjar congratulated the students for their skills.
Gurjar asked authorities to provide a detailed list of senior citizens in Sikkim who need assistive devices.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News