Central government provides assistive devices to disabled people in Sikkim
The Samajik Adhikarita Shivir was an exclusive programme for disabled people that was held at Gangtok in Sikkim. Krishnan Pal Gurjar, Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment was the chief guest at the event. He promised many benefits to disabled people from Sikkim from central government.
More than Rs 6 lakh will be spent by the central government for cochlear implants of children who are from poor families. In order to get the right statistics, the minister has requested concerned officials to provide a detailed list of children with hearing impairments.
Nearly 800 people who attended the event were provided with assistive devices, wheelchairs, walking sticks and digital hearing aids.
More than 200 people received various devices, and the rest will be handed over to beneficiaries from their local authorities.
Gurjar said that he is glad that Sikkim has rightly implemented the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. He also added that a local artificial limbs manufacturing company is expected to kick-start in Sikkim.
Disabled children from across Sikkim showcased their talents through many dance and music programmes at the event. Gurjar congratulated the students for their skills.
Gurjar asked authorities to provide a detailed list of senior citizens in Sikkim who need assistive devices.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Events February 10, 2019 Cerebral Palsy at Bhopal and Varanasi 2019
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019