Central government provides assistive devices to disabled people in Sikkim
The Samajik Adhikarita Shivir was an exclusive programme for disabled people that was held at Gangtok in Sikkim. Krishnan Pal Gurjar, Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment was the chief guest at the event. He promised many benefits to disabled people from Sikkim from central government.
More than Rs 6 lakh will be spent by the central government for cochlear implants of children who are from poor families. In order to get the right statistics, the minister has requested concerned officials to provide a detailed list of children with hearing impairments.
Nearly 800 people who attended the event were provided with assistive devices, wheelchairs, walking sticks and digital hearing aids.
More than 200 people received various devices, and the rest will be handed over to beneficiaries from their local authorities.
Gurjar said that he is glad that Sikkim has rightly implemented the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. He also added that a local artificial limbs manufacturing company is expected to kick-start in Sikkim.
Disabled children from across Sikkim showcased their talents through many dance and music programmes at the event. Gurjar congratulated the students for their skills.
Gurjar asked authorities to provide a detailed list of senior citizens in Sikkim who need assistive devices.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News