Central government provides assistive devices to disabled people in Sikkim
June 3, 2018
The Samajik Adhikarita Shivir was an exclusive programme for disabled people that was held at Gangtok in Sikkim. Krishnan Pal Gurjar, Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment was the chief guest at the event. He promised many benefits to disabled people from Sikkim from central government.
More than Rs 6 lakh will be spent by the central government for cochlear implants of children who are from poor families. In order to get the right statistics, the minister has requested concerned officials to provide a detailed list of children with hearing impairments.
Nearly 800 people who attended the event were provided with assistive devices, wheelchairs, walking sticks and digital hearing aids.
More than 200 people received various devices, and the rest will be handed over to beneficiaries from their local authorities.
Gurjar said that he is glad that Sikkim has rightly implemented the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. He also added that a local artificial limbs manufacturing company is expected to kick-start in Sikkim.
Disabled children from across Sikkim showcased their talents through many dance and music programmes at the event. Gurjar congratulated the students for their skills.
Gurjar asked authorities to provide a detailed list of senior citizens in Sikkim who need assistive devices.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News