Central government provides assistive devices to disabled people in Sikkim
June 3, 2018
The Samajik Adhikarita Shivir was an exclusive programme for disabled people that was held at Gangtok in Sikkim. Krishnan Pal Gurjar, Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment was the chief guest at the event. He promised many benefits to disabled people from Sikkim from central government.
More than Rs 6 lakh will be spent by the central government for cochlear implants of children who are from poor families. In order to get the right statistics, the minister has requested concerned officials to provide a detailed list of children with hearing impairments.
Nearly 800 people who attended the event were provided with assistive devices, wheelchairs, walking sticks and digital hearing aids.
More than 200 people received various devices, and the rest will be handed over to beneficiaries from their local authorities.
Gurjar said that he is glad that Sikkim has rightly implemented the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. He also added that a local artificial limbs manufacturing company is expected to kick-start in Sikkim.
Disabled children from across Sikkim showcased their talents through many dance and music programmes at the event. Gurjar congratulated the students for their skills.
Gurjar asked authorities to provide a detailed list of senior citizens in Sikkim who need assistive devices.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News