This wheelchair blogger is changing attitudes towards disability through her powerful words
June 5, 2018
This young writer's perspective on the world of disability is winning her much praise!
Chalamalasetty Nikhila, a blogger has just released her first book, "The Day I Started Flying'. Her writing skills and message has got many people thinking.
Nikhila, who uses a wheelchair, says she wants the world to understand how to treat a person with a disability. She says that disabled people are treated in an incorrect manner most of the time. The forced sympathy and thoughtless questions can often be demoralizing she says.
Nikhila, who has studied commerce, is professional blogger. She has a site called www.nikkistalk.co.in where she writes about topics like beauty tips and food. She gives a lot of credit to her parents for not overwhelming her with sympathy and for treating her normally.
Nikhila says that she has established contacts with many disabled people through her blog. The readership of her blog has grown substantially and she is now able to make a living as a professional blogger. She has been approached by wedding websites and she has monetized her posts.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News