Lack of barrier-free UPSC exam centres a hurdle for disabled candidates in Madurai
Before taking an exam, most of us are tense and worried. Imagine how much worse you will feel if you have reached the exam hall after facing many hurdles? This is what disabled UPSC candidates in Madurai went through.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) civic services preliminary exam was held at various centres across Madurai in Tamil Nadu. But many disabled candidates faced problems as exam centres were not barrier-free. They were not accessible due to the lack of wheelchairs, ramps, and other facilities.
Among them was 37-year-old Kamaraj, who has a calliper on his left leg. This post-graduate degree holder had to literally crawl to the exam centre as they were no wheelchair ramps! The only relief was that the exam exam hall was on the ground floor.
39-year-old Aleem, whose right leg was affected by polio, was not so lucky. His centre was on the second floor and he was exhausted by the time he climbed the steps and got to the hall.
There were quite a few disabled candidates who took the UPSC exams this year. They raised their concerns over the lack of facilities available for them. They said the government must be more sensitive towards the needs of disabled people. Creating a barrier-free environment at exam centres is clearly the need of the hour!
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News