Lack of barrier-free UPSC exam centres a hurdle for disabled candidates in Madurai
June 6, 2018
Before taking an exam, most of us are tense and worried. Imagine how much worse you will feel if you have reached the exam hall after facing many hurdles? This is what disabled UPSC candidates in Madurai went through.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) civic services preliminary exam was held at various centres across Madurai in Tamil Nadu. But many disabled candidates faced problems as exam centres were not barrier-free. They were not accessible due to the lack of wheelchairs, ramps, and other facilities.
Among them was 37-year-old Kamaraj, who has a calliper on his left leg. This post-graduate degree holder had to literally crawl to the exam centre as they were no wheelchair ramps! The only relief was that the exam exam hall was on the ground floor.
39-year-old Aleem, whose right leg was affected by polio, was not so lucky. His centre was on the second floor and he was exhausted by the time he climbed the steps and got to the hall.
There were quite a few disabled candidates who took the UPSC exams this year. They raised their concerns over the lack of facilities available for them. They said the government must be more sensitive towards the needs of disabled people. Creating a barrier-free environment at exam centres is clearly the need of the hour!
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News