Lack of barrier-free UPSC exam centres a hurdle for disabled candidates in Madurai
Before taking an exam, most of us are tense and worried. Imagine how much worse you will feel if you have reached the exam hall after facing many hurdles? This is what disabled UPSC candidates in Madurai went through.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) civic services preliminary exam was held at various centres across Madurai in Tamil Nadu. But many disabled candidates faced problems as exam centres were not barrier-free. They were not accessible due to the lack of wheelchairs, ramps, and other facilities.
Among them was 37-year-old Kamaraj, who has a calliper on his left leg. This post-graduate degree holder had to literally crawl to the exam centre as they were no wheelchair ramps! The only relief was that the exam exam hall was on the ground floor.
39-year-old Aleem, whose right leg was affected by polio, was not so lucky. His centre was on the second floor and he was exhausted by the time he climbed the steps and got to the hall.
There were quite a few disabled candidates who took the UPSC exams this year. They raised their concerns over the lack of facilities available for them. They said the government must be more sensitive towards the needs of disabled people. Creating a barrier-free environment at exam centres is clearly the need of the hour!
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 21, 2018
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News