Lack of barrier-free UPSC exam centres a hurdle for disabled candidates in Madurai
Before taking an exam, most of us are tense and worried. Imagine how much worse you will feel if you have reached the exam hall after facing many hurdles? This is what disabled UPSC candidates in Madurai went through.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) civic services preliminary exam was held at various centres across Madurai in Tamil Nadu. But many disabled candidates faced problems as exam centres were not barrier-free. They were not accessible due to the lack of wheelchairs, ramps, and other facilities.
Among them was 37-year-old Kamaraj, who has a calliper on his left leg. This post-graduate degree holder had to literally crawl to the exam centre as they were no wheelchair ramps! The only relief was that the exam exam hall was on the ground floor.
39-year-old Aleem, whose right leg was affected by polio, was not so lucky. His centre was on the second floor and he was exhausted by the time he climbed the steps and got to the hall.
There were quite a few disabled candidates who took the UPSC exams this year. They raised their concerns over the lack of facilities available for them. They said the government must be more sensitive towards the needs of disabled people. Creating a barrier-free environment at exam centres is clearly the need of the hour!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 18, 2018 Congress leader jailed for life in anti-Sikh riots case
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018