Lack of barrier-free UPSC exam centres a hurdle for disabled candidates in Madurai
June 6, 2018
Before taking an exam, most of us are tense and worried. Imagine how much worse you will feel if you have reached the exam hall after facing many hurdles? This is what disabled UPSC candidates in Madurai went through.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) civic services preliminary exam was held at various centres across Madurai in Tamil Nadu. But many disabled candidates faced problems as exam centres were not barrier-free. They were not accessible due to the lack of wheelchairs, ramps, and other facilities.
Among them was 37-year-old Kamaraj, who has a calliper on his left leg. This post-graduate degree holder had to literally crawl to the exam centre as they were no wheelchair ramps! The only relief was that the exam exam hall was on the ground floor.
39-year-old Aleem, whose right leg was affected by polio, was not so lucky. His centre was on the second floor and he was exhausted by the time he climbed the steps and got to the hall.
There were quite a few disabled candidates who took the UPSC exams this year. They raised their concerns over the lack of facilities available for them. They said the government must be more sensitive towards the needs of disabled people. Creating a barrier-free environment at exam centres is clearly the need of the hour!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Education June 10, 2019 Kidsville Educational Academy offers a shoulder to children with disabilities, & families too
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News