The Ramani sisters are out to make cafes in Bengaluru & Lucknow disabled-friendly
For sisters Juhi and Bobby Ramani, creating awareness about autism is a personal mission. Nothing is more important to them than that.
Over the last one year, they have been on a mission to make eating places in Bengaluru and Lucknow accessible to people with disabilities.
The sisters head the NGO, I Support Foundation, which works with children and adults with learning disabilities. They want to make eating out a fun and hassle-free experience for people with disabilities and their families.
Juhi says that they were motivated to start this initiative because of their own experiences. Their brother, who has autism, would take food from other people’s tables at restaurants, a behaviour that is common among people with autism.
The sisters say there is a lot of stigma about disability in India and they aim to sensitize the larger public. The I Support Foundation has been at the forefront of educating cafe and restaurant staffers to assist those who might visit their restaurants.
Over the last one year, the NGO has successfully changed 15 eating places in Bengaluru and Lucknow. Among them are Chung Wah, Petto, Bakasur, Chatpata India, Treat in Bengaluru. In Lucknow, the restaurants are Café Bewajah, The Cherry Tree Café, and The Red Truck.
The NGO hold an hour-long orientation with the staff to educate them about visible and invisible signs they may see in children with special needs. The aim is to make their visits comfortable.
Once the orientation is completed, each restaurant gets a yellow-coloured sticker which is a sign that the place is disabled-friendly. This is to inform families and start a conversation as well.
The sisters hope to take the initiative across India and make more public spaces disabled-friendly.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018