These filmmakers are on a mission to highlight the world of India's deaf community
RH Films recently held their first major film screening event in Mumbai. Eight films were screened including the award-winning Onion Bank, which is a drama movie.
The film is clearly a labour of love for the team, which took over three years to complete.
RH Films is made up of a team of two deaf film-makers, Rajesh Kulkarni and Hemang Somaiyya, from Maharashtra. They started off as a drama group and have won awards for many programs held across Maharashtra.
Movies made by RH Films have won awards in various categories. The success has made RH Films all the more determined to continue with their successful run.
The team wants to create more deaf films in their mission to build an equal world. They are thrilled with the response to their films at a recent screening in Mumbai.
I am happy. When we go to see hearing movies we don’t understand. Similarly it’s with deaf films. We are equal. I thought that as it’s our first time, we won’t have much of an audience, but today we are thrilled to see a huge crowd – Vanita and Preeti , RH Films
In fact, the Mumbai screening event was packed to full capacity. The team had to turn interested people away as there were no seats vacant in the audience.
Attached to the story is an interview by Newz Hook reporter Shalaka Pol with the team behind RH Films.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018