Reserve Bank of India to make currency identification easier for blind people
People who are visually impaired use the sense of touch to identify various objects, including money. It is therefore important that the currency in place should be easy to identify through touch.
The new rupee notes introduced after demonetisation were widely criticised as being inaccessible to people who are visually impaired. Now, in a welcome announcement, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that it would create a device that will enable visually impaired people to use Indian currency easily.
In a recent policy review statement, the RBI has said that it is considering the idea of developing a suitable device or system that can help visually impaired people identify bank notes.
This is a much needed facility, as blind people have been facing many challenges using the rupee notes presently in circulation.
In 2017, a PIL was filed in the Delhi High Court to highlight the difficulties that visually impaired people were facing using the new Rs 50 and Rs 200 notes. The PIL said that unlike previous versions of the Indian currency, the new notes did not have any special features that could help in their identification.
Ideally, the notes should be printed in different lengths and width. There should be unique features on it that enable people to recognise it by touch.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019