Delhi University admission process puts disabled students in a fix
Many disabled students across India score high marks in the Class 10 and 12 board exams. However, many of them find it difficult to get admissions into pioneer colleges in the country. The ideal example is the admission process for disabled students at Delhi University (DU)!
The Delhi University requires a certificate from a government hospital sttaing that the applicant has a disability. But the Delhi government is yet to notify the rules under the Rights of People with Disabilities Act 2016.
Hence, many disabled students who have autism, dyslexia, thalassemia and haemophilia are finding it difficult to go through the admissions process. Government hospitals are not ready to issue certificates for these disabilities.
An official from DU said that they do not want disabled children to go through hurdles. Hence, candidates need to submit only their medical prescriptions during the admission process. But this is temporary. Once classes begin on 19 June, they will have to provide the government certificate.
Earlier this year, officials had already raised this concern with the disability commissioner and the social welfare and health department of the Delhi government. But no action has been taken yet.
One of the parents of a candidate with autism said that she is worried for her child’s future. Inspite of the child getting 85% in humanities, she has not got admission into the university.
Officials from DU have promised to find a permanent solution to the problem as soon as possible. But candidates and parents are wondering how long they will have to wait for a solution!
Watch in Sign Language
- Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
October 20, 2018
- Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
October 18, 2018
- Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Events October 22, 2018 Sixth National Conference on Inclusive Education
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Parasports October 22, 2018 India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Parasports October 18, 2018 India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education October 20, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News