These disabled drivers are out to claim their right to space
This is a journey with a mission. Five disabled people have hit the road to set a record by going from Kanyakumari to Ladakh in five days
They set off on 6 June on a trip that will take them from Kanyakumari to Khardung La pass in Ladakh. The 4,000-km journey will be done using modified bikes and cars. The idea is to not just create a new record, but to send out a message that people with disabilities too have a right to space.
The riders call themselves TriChakras are led by a person without a disability, Shankar Jaikishan. Jaikishan has been modifying motor vehicles to suit the needs of people with disabilities.
The others members of the team are between the ages of 30 to 50 years old and they have been preparing for the trip for the last two years. They have done many short and long trips, including one to Goa.
All members of TriChakras have a disability related to sensory feeling below the waist.
The team hopes to reach Khardung La early on 11 June. There are some people on modfied bikes while the others are on modified cars. They plan to rest for six-seven hours a day and cover as much ground as possible during the rest of the time.
Dilip Muralidharan, who is one of the members of the TriChakra team, is not participating in the expedition, but hopes that such efforts help reclaim physical and social space for disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019