These disabled drivers are out to claim their right to space
This is a journey with a mission. Five disabled people have hit the road to set a record by going from Kanyakumari to Ladakh in five days
They set off on 6 June on a trip that will take them from Kanyakumari to Khardung La pass in Ladakh. The 4,000-km journey will be done using modified bikes and cars. The idea is to not just create a new record, but to send out a message that people with disabilities too have a right to space.
The riders call themselves TriChakras are led by a person without a disability, Shankar Jaikishan. Jaikishan has been modifying motor vehicles to suit the needs of people with disabilities.
The others members of the team are between the ages of 30 to 50 years old and they have been preparing for the trip for the last two years. They have done many short and long trips, including one to Goa.
All members of TriChakras have a disability related to sensory feeling below the waist.
The team hopes to reach Khardung La early on 11 June. There are some people on modfied bikes while the others are on modified cars. They plan to rest for six-seven hours a day and cover as much ground as possible during the rest of the time.
Dilip Muralidharan, who is one of the members of the TriChakra team, is not participating in the expedition, but hopes that such efforts help reclaim physical and social space for disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
- The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
December 11, 2018
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018