These disabled drivers are out to claim their right to space
June 9, 2018
This is a journey with a mission. Five disabled people have hit the road to set a record by going from Kanyakumari to Ladakh in five days
They set off on 6 June on a trip that will take them from Kanyakumari to Khardung La pass in Ladakh. The 4,000-km journey will be done using modified bikes and cars. The idea is to not just create a new record, but to send out a message that people with disabilities too have a right to space.
The riders call themselves TriChakras are led by a person without a disability, Shankar Jaikishan. Jaikishan has been modifying motor vehicles to suit the needs of people with disabilities.
The others members of the team are between the ages of 30 to 50 years old and they have been preparing for the trip for the last two years. They have done many short and long trips, including one to Goa.
All members of TriChakras have a disability related to sensory feeling below the waist.
The team hopes to reach Khardung La early on 11 June. There are some people on modfied bikes while the others are on modified cars. They plan to rest for six-seven hours a day and cover as much ground as possible during the rest of the time.
Dilip Muralidharan, who is one of the members of the TriChakra team, is not participating in the expedition, but hopes that such efforts help reclaim physical and social space for disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
- Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News