These disabled drivers are out to claim their right to space
This is a journey with a mission. Five disabled people have hit the road to set a record by going from Kanyakumari to Ladakh in five days
They set off on 6 June on a trip that will take them from Kanyakumari to Khardung La pass in Ladakh. The 4,000-km journey will be done using modified bikes and cars. The idea is to not just create a new record, but to send out a message that people with disabilities too have a right to space.
The riders call themselves TriChakras are led by a person without a disability, Shankar Jaikishan. Jaikishan has been modifying motor vehicles to suit the needs of people with disabilities.
The others members of the team are between the ages of 30 to 50 years old and they have been preparing for the trip for the last two years. They have done many short and long trips, including one to Goa.
All members of TriChakras have a disability related to sensory feeling below the waist.
The team hopes to reach Khardung La early on 11 June. There are some people on modfied bikes while the others are on modified cars. They plan to rest for six-seven hours a day and cover as much ground as possible during the rest of the time.
Dilip Muralidharan, who is one of the members of the TriChakra team, is not participating in the expedition, but hopes that such efforts help reclaim physical and social space for disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Accessibility October 21, 2018
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News