Punjab professor develops software that converts English texts to sign language grammar
June 10, 2018
This new software spells good news for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. A professor from Jallandhar in Punjab, Dr Lalit Goyal, says he has developed a software that translates English texts to Indian Sign language (ISL) synthetic animations.
The software can convert simple English sentences to Indian Sign Language with more than 85% accuracy. Goyal says this is the first and the only working model in India which can convert the English text to ISL in real time.
The system uses computer-generated animations which increases the speed of the system substantially. Goyal says the software has been clubbed with a bilingual dictionary of more than 2,400 words that were created using the videos made by an institute for the deaf at Coimbatore.
Goyal claims that this computer-generated animation will make communication process easier by converting the text into the sign language grammar.
The software could help school-going children at the moment. Upon improvement, it would become more useful for normal people as well while communicating with deaf and speech impaired children.
Goyal's team is in contact with the Indian Singh Language Research and Training centre (ISLRTC) to get an MOU to start new projects as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
March 14, 2019
- BDD Assist aims to revolutionise lives of blind and deaf people, gets mixed reviews
March 9, 2019
- Raised Line Foundation, an IIT-Delhi initiative, is working to bring the power of choice to visually impaired students
March 5, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Understanding Ataxia
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 ‘Chaya’, a theatre performance by wheelchair users in Kerala, becomes grand success
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Headlines March 25, 2019 Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Tough, but not impossible. - Guest columnist Karthik Chandrashekhar talks about his journey overcoming disability
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News