Punjab professor develops software that converts English texts to sign language grammar
June 10, 2018
This new software spells good news for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. A professor from Jallandhar in Punjab, Dr Lalit Goyal, says he has developed a software that translates English texts to Indian Sign language (ISL) synthetic animations.
The software can convert simple English sentences to Indian Sign Language with more than 85% accuracy. Goyal says this is the first and the only working model in India which can convert the English text to ISL in real time.
The system uses computer-generated animations which increases the speed of the system substantially. Goyal says the software has been clubbed with a bilingual dictionary of more than 2,400 words that were created using the videos made by an institute for the deaf at Coimbatore.
Goyal claims that this computer-generated animation will make communication process easier by converting the text into the sign language grammar.
The software could help school-going children at the moment. Upon improvement, it would become more useful for normal people as well while communicating with deaf and speech impaired children.
Goyal's team is in contact with the Indian Singh Language Research and Training centre (ISLRTC) to get an MOU to start new projects as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
May 23, 2019
- Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
May 15, 2019
- Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
May 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
- Employment May 27, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kerala unhappy over denial of scheme for self-employment
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News