Punjab professor develops software that converts English texts to sign language grammar
This new software spells good news for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. A professor from Jallandhar in Punjab, Dr Lalit Goyal, says he has developed a software that translates English texts to Indian Sign language (ISL) synthetic animations.
The software can convert simple English sentences to Indian Sign Language with more than 85% accuracy. Goyal says this is the first and the only working model in India which can convert the English text to ISL in real time.
The system uses computer-generated animations which increases the speed of the system substantially. Goyal says the software has been clubbed with a bilingual dictionary of more than 2,400 words that were created using the videos made by an institute for the deaf at Coimbatore.
Goyal claims that this computer-generated animation will make communication process easier by converting the text into the sign language grammar.
The software could help school-going children at the moment. Upon improvement, it would become more useful for normal people as well while communicating with deaf and speech impaired children.
Goyal's team is in contact with the Indian Singh Language Research and Training centre (ISLRTC) to get an MOU to start new projects as well.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Three more women denied entry into Sabarimala
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Sarbojonin in name only, not in practice - Guest column by Arita Acharjee & Annesha Dasgupta
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News