Punjab professor develops software that converts English texts to sign language grammar
This new software spells good news for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. A professor from Jallandhar in Punjab, Dr Lalit Goyal, says he has developed a software that translates English texts to Indian Sign language (ISL) synthetic animations.
The software can convert simple English sentences to Indian Sign Language with more than 85% accuracy. Goyal says this is the first and the only working model in India which can convert the English text to ISL in real time.
The system uses computer-generated animations which increases the speed of the system substantially. Goyal says the software has been clubbed with a bilingual dictionary of more than 2,400 words that were created using the videos made by an institute for the deaf at Coimbatore.
Goyal claims that this computer-generated animation will make communication process easier by converting the text into the sign language grammar.
The software could help school-going children at the moment. Upon improvement, it would become more useful for normal people as well while communicating with deaf and speech impaired children.
Goyal's team is in contact with the Indian Singh Language Research and Training centre (ISLRTC) to get an MOU to start new projects as well.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Technology January 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News