Para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan sets Asian record in 200 metre backstroke
Meet the new Asian para champion in 200 metre backstroke! Its Bengaluru's Niranjan Mukundan who set the record at the Para Swimming World Series 2018 in Berlin.
Niranjan clocked 3:16.01 seconds while covering the distance, beating the previous record held by Vietnam's Van Chung of 4:02.49 seconds. The Vietnam swimmer had set the record back in 2003 in the S7 category.
For the 23-year-old, the win was unexpected and even sweeter as he has been struggling with injuries for the last few months. Niranjan had even stopped swimming for nearly eight months after back-to-back injuries. So this record is a major boost.
There are 20 swimmers from India at the event accompanied by national coach John Christopher. The meet will end on Monday.
Niranjan will now contest in the 50m butterfly and 400m freestyle events in Berlin in the next couple of days.
Watch in Sign Language
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News