Para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan sets Asian record in 200 metre backstroke
June 10, 2018
Meet the new Asian para champion in 200 metre backstroke! Its Bengaluru's Niranjan Mukundan who set the record at the Para Swimming World Series 2018 in Berlin.
Niranjan clocked 3:16.01 seconds while covering the distance, beating the previous record held by Vietnam's Van Chung of 4:02.49 seconds. The Vietnam swimmer had set the record back in 2003 in the S7 category.
For the 23-year-old, the win was unexpected and even sweeter as he has been struggling with injuries for the last few months. Niranjan had even stopped swimming for nearly eight months after back-to-back injuries. So this record is a major boost.
There are 20 swimmers from India at the event accompanied by national coach John Christopher. The meet will end on Monday.
Niranjan will now contest in the 50m butterfly and 400m freestyle events in Berlin in the next couple of days.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News