Para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan sets Asian record in 200 metre backstroke
June 10, 2018
Meet the new Asian para champion in 200 metre backstroke! Its Bengaluru's Niranjan Mukundan who set the record at the Para Swimming World Series 2018 in Berlin.
Niranjan clocked 3:16.01 seconds while covering the distance, beating the previous record held by Vietnam's Van Chung of 4:02.49 seconds. The Vietnam swimmer had set the record back in 2003 in the S7 category.
For the 23-year-old, the win was unexpected and even sweeter as he has been struggling with injuries for the last few months. Niranjan had even stopped swimming for nearly eight months after back-to-back injuries. So this record is a major boost.
There are 20 swimmers from India at the event accompanied by national coach John Christopher. The meet will end on Monday.
Niranjan will now contest in the 50m butterfly and 400m freestyle events in Berlin in the next couple of days.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 #AutismPower - Varun Sawant juggles multiple talents with great style
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News