Para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan sets Asian record in 200 metre backstroke
Meet the new Asian para champion in 200 metre backstroke! Its Bengaluru's Niranjan Mukundan who set the record at the Para Swimming World Series 2018 in Berlin.
Niranjan clocked 3:16.01 seconds while covering the distance, beating the previous record held by Vietnam's Van Chung of 4:02.49 seconds. The Vietnam swimmer had set the record back in 2003 in the S7 category.
For the 23-year-old, the win was unexpected and even sweeter as he has been struggling with injuries for the last few months. Niranjan had even stopped swimming for nearly eight months after back-to-back injuries. So this record is a major boost.
There are 20 swimmers from India at the event accompanied by national coach John Christopher. The meet will end on Monday.
Niranjan will now contest in the 50m butterfly and 400m freestyle events in Berlin in the next couple of days.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Five people arrested in killing of police officer at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh, pediatrician
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur restaurant managed by disabled youth
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Fun, meaningful ways that World Disability Day was celebrated across India
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News