First cricket tournament for deaf & speech impaired women held in Vadodara
June 12, 2018
A historic moment for Vadodara! The city hosted its first ever cricket tournament for deaf and speech impaired girls.
Girls from five districts across Gujarat took part in the tennis ball cricket tournament. It was held at the Vadodara Cricket Academy. Imran Sheikh, who is one of the members of the Indian Deaf Cricket team, had organized the tournament.
Shaikh said the aim was to encourage more women to participate in cricket. The plan is to keep organizing more tournaments to motivate deaf and speech impaired women to take up cricket seriously. Shaikh also runs the Deaf Cricket Club of Baroda.
The five districts that participated in the tournament include Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Himmatnagar, Nadiad and Palanpur.
At the match, the Ahmedabad team beat Palanpur to pick up the champions trophy. Sheikh has been making efforts to promote deaf and speech impaired cricket in the city over the last few years. He has been the captainof the Indian Deaf Cricket team and the Gujarat team as well.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News