First cricket tournament for deaf & speech impaired women held in Vadodara
A historic moment for Vadodara! The city hosted its first ever cricket tournament for deaf and speech impaired girls.
Girls from five districts across Gujarat took part in the tennis ball cricket tournament. It was held at the Vadodara Cricket Academy. Imran Sheikh, who is one of the members of the Indian Deaf Cricket team, had organized the tournament.
Shaikh said the aim was to encourage more women to participate in cricket. The plan is to keep organizing more tournaments to motivate deaf and speech impaired women to take up cricket seriously. Shaikh also runs the Deaf Cricket Club of Baroda.
The five districts that participated in the tournament include Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Himmatnagar, Nadiad and Palanpur.
At the match, the Ahmedabad team beat Palanpur to pick up the champions trophy. Sheikh has been making efforts to promote deaf and speech impaired cricket in the city over the last few years. He has been the captainof the Indian Deaf Cricket team and the Gujarat team as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News