Kerala government to start comprehensive screening programme to detect birth defects
Catching them young is the ideal way to treat developmental disorders that affect children. The government of Kerala is all set to show the way to ensure good and quality standard of living for every child in the state!
The Universal Comprehensive Newborn Screening Programme (CNS) is one such initiatives. Under this, newborns will be screened for developmental disorders within 48 hours of birth.
Kerala has a low infant mortality rate and the state is determined to focus on providing quality life for children in the state.
Newborns will be screened under four parameters. These include visible birth defects, functional birth defects, metabolic defects and neuro-developmental defects.
If a newborn is diagnosed with any health defects, it will be given treatment. Regular check-ups will be done, and parents will have to ensure they do monthly follow ups.
An expert says that premature babies are usually kept in Intensive Care Units (ICU), and they are provided with a high flow of oxygen supply. This can lead to many disorders. In order to prevent this, screening is important.
The Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK) is a central government scheme to the enhance quality of lives of children. This scheme will also be implemented in Kerala.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018