Kerala government to start comprehensive screening programme to detect birth defects
Catching them young is the ideal way to treat developmental disorders that affect children. The government of Kerala is all set to show the way to ensure good and quality standard of living for every child in the state!
The Universal Comprehensive Newborn Screening Programme (CNS) is one such initiatives. Under this, newborns will be screened for developmental disorders within 48 hours of birth.
Kerala has a low infant mortality rate and the state is determined to focus on providing quality life for children in the state.
Newborns will be screened under four parameters. These include visible birth defects, functional birth defects, metabolic defects and neuro-developmental defects.
If a newborn is diagnosed with any health defects, it will be given treatment. Regular check-ups will be done, and parents will have to ensure they do monthly follow ups.
An expert says that premature babies are usually kept in Intensive Care Units (ICU), and they are provided with a high flow of oxygen supply. This can lead to many disorders. In order to prevent this, screening is important.
The Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK) is a central government scheme to the enhance quality of lives of children. This scheme will also be implemented in Kerala.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News