Kerala government to start comprehensive screening programme to detect birth defects
June 13, 2018
Catching them young is the ideal way to treat developmental disorders that affect children. The government of Kerala is all set to show the way to ensure good and quality standard of living for every child in the state!
The Universal Comprehensive Newborn Screening Programme (CNS) is one such initiatives. Under this, newborns will be screened for developmental disorders within 48 hours of birth.
Kerala has a low infant mortality rate and the state is determined to focus on providing quality life for children in the state.
Newborns will be screened under four parameters. These include visible birth defects, functional birth defects, metabolic defects and neuro-developmental defects.
If a newborn is diagnosed with any health defects, it will be given treatment. Regular check-ups will be done, and parents will have to ensure they do monthly follow ups.
An expert says that premature babies are usually kept in Intensive Care Units (ICU), and they are provided with a high flow of oxygen supply. This can lead to many disorders. In order to prevent this, screening is important.
The Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK) is a central government scheme to the enhance quality of lives of children. This scheme will also be implemented in Kerala.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News