Looking beyond skin deep - A photo series fights stigma against people with albinism & other conditions
Everyone likes to say that beauty is more than skin deep, but few really believe that. Peter DeVito, a 20-year-old photographer, is trying to change that.
His recent collection features people with vitiligo, albinism, freckles, and birthmarks in an attempt to fight the stigma against them.
All the people featured in the series have used letter stickers to imprint questions or statements that are often asked from them. These are questions like - 'Are you a ghost?', 'What's the matter with your skin?', etc. The subjects have responded to the questions in written essays of their own, which are shared besides each portrait.
Among the people featured is top model Diandra Forrest, who has albinism. She has written alongside her picture,
I am fierce, funny, compassionate, and nurturing. These are some qualities that matter most - Diandra Forrest, Model
Another model Amy Deanna, who has a skin condition called vitilligo, had a comment on her skin that says - 'No one will marry you with that skin'. To which Amy responded,
I love myself despite [my] Vitiligo and if you can't then you don't deserve me. I will never apologize for being me - Amy Deanna
DeVito says his aim is to empower more people and to help normalize skin conditions. He decided to create the campaign because he wanted to do something to empower voices that go underrepresented in the fashion industry.
The industry seems to be responding to change as well with new fashion campaigns celebrating models with skin conditions. More people are using social media to embrace what they once would be hidden.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Ezy Mov, the wheelchair taxi service, makes Accessible Goa a reality
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018