Hero Arm, a customizable bionic arm, would win the envy of superheroes!
This innovation could be straight out of the Avengers series! Its the world's first medically certified, 3-D printed bionic hand that could change the life of disabled people.
Developed by Open Bionics, a United Kingdom-based startup, the Hero Arm has a multi grip hand with four motors that control individual fingers and move the thumb.
The Hero Arm picks up signals from a user's muscles. It has sensors on the inside of the socket, which sit on top of the muscles. These detect a small voltage when the muscles are flexed and the hand will move in response.
The technology is low cost and has been tested to great success.
Style you arm
The first stage is that a prosthetist gets a model of the arm, which could be physical or digital from a 3-D scan. This is fed into software algorithms to create the customized Hero Arm for each person. They export the files for the 3-D printers. These are then printed on 3-D and assembled into the Hero Arm.
The best thing is that the look and style of the arm can be changed. There is even a customizer so that users can design their own arm and change the colors. This means you have choice over the way your prosthesis looks.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News