Jeeja Ghosh makes history as first disabled person in India to adopt baby
This was one battle that Jeeja Ghosh says was well worth the struggle. The 48-year-old Kolkata activist, who has cerebral palsy, has created history as the first disabled person in India to adopt a baby.
Jeeja says she faced many hurdles before she could adopt the baby. But she was determined not to give up.
Since she was a child, Jeeja had nursed dreams of becoming a mother. When she got married in 2013, she was finally sure of realizing the dream with the love and support of her husband, Bappaditya Nag.
Lovingly called Bhujungu, the baby girl means the world to Jeeja and her husband now.
Jeeja and her husband had to knock on many doors from 2016 to adopt a baby. Inspite of showing biological certificates, orphanages were reluctant to give a child to the couple. The couple say they were even humiliated by certain questions from the orphanages.
It was love at first sight when the couple saw Bhujungu. The baby was found abandoned at a centre in Kolkata. Her biological parents are unknown to officials.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News