Tamil Nadu government to ensure barrier-free government buildings by conducting audits
June 15, 2018
Tamil Nadu government is all set to ensure that their buildings are disabled friendly and barrier-free. An audit will be conducted at all existing buildings and those that are under construction as well across the state.
Out of more than 52,000 government buildings across Tamil Nadu, 37,000 have already been made accessible. They have wheelchair ramps, special bathrooms and other facilities.
A government official said that these phased audits will be carried out by engineers in every district. These reports will later be submitted to chief engineers. Authorities will also make sure that this process is being carried out on time and that measures are being taken to make buildings disabled friendly at the earliest.
On Tuesday, authorities from the buildings department of Tamil Nadu met with various welfare organizations for people with disabilities. Officials pointed out that this meeting was held in order to know how they can work towards creating a better barrier-free environment in government buildings across Tamil Nadu.
Watch in Sign Language
- 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
May 26, 2019
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Events May 26, 2019 Awareness Program for Down Syndrome
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Events May 26, 2019 31st International Conference on Cancer Research and therapy
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News