Say hello to Chetan Korada, world's only disabled driver who refuses to drive a modified car!
Double amputee Chetan Korada is going down roads that no one other disabled person in the world has travelled so far. Korada is not only the world's first disabled race driver to win races and even a series, he refuses to drive adapted cars!
Achieving this milestone has been a hard journey. Korada was less than two years old when he was fitted for his first pair of prosthetics. He would get fitted with new prosthetics every year or two and his legs would bleed until they adjusted to the new devices.
31-year-old Korada was amputated below the knees soon after birth because of a bone defect. Despite the pan of coping with new prosthetics, he has pursued training relentlessly and has become a leading race car driver over the last 10 years.
He just finished the Formula Masters track in Malaysia in preparation for two upcoming international races. These are the MRF Challenge in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Bahrain in November 2018, and a Southeast Asia Pacific series in July.
Korada, who lives in Chennai, has been winning regularly since 2009 when he was the second runner-up in the JK Tyre Junior National Championship.
Korada is not the world’s first disabled driver to participate in such a high-risk sport. Britain’s Nicolas Hamilton who has cerebral palsy, has participated in championships. So has 19-year-old double amputee Billy Monger. However, Korada is the only one to have made it to the podium in rallies. he is also the only one who does not drive modified vehicles.
Watch in Sign Language
- Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
December 17, 2018
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
- India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018