Say hello to Chetan Korada, world's only disabled driver who refuses to drive a modified car!
June 15, 2018
Double amputee Chetan Korada is going down roads that no one other disabled person in the world has travelled so far. Korada is not only the world's first disabled race driver to win races and even a series, he refuses to drive adapted cars!
Achieving this milestone has been a hard journey. Korada was less than two years old when he was fitted for his first pair of prosthetics. He would get fitted with new prosthetics every year or two and his legs would bleed until they adjusted to the new devices.
31-year-old Korada was amputated below the knees soon after birth because of a bone defect. Despite the pan of coping with new prosthetics, he has pursued training relentlessly and has become a leading race car driver over the last 10 years.
He just finished the Formula Masters track in Malaysia in preparation for two upcoming international races. These are the MRF Challenge in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Bahrain in November 2018, and a Southeast Asia Pacific series in July.
Korada, who lives in Chennai, has been winning regularly since 2009 when he was the second runner-up in the JK Tyre Junior National Championship.
Korada is not the world's first disabled driver to participate in such a high-risk sport. Britain's Nicolas Hamilton who has cerebral palsy, has participated in championships. So has 19-year-old double amputee Billy Monger. However, Korada is the only one to have made it to the podium in rallies. he is also the only one who does not drive modified vehicles.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News