Blind skateboarder Dan Mancina is dramatically changing perceptions regarding disability!
June 17, 2018
Skateboarding requires truckloads of nerves, coordination, and agility. So, imagine the level of skill and confidence a visually impaired person would need on a skateboard! Which is what makes Dan Mancina such a remarkable guy.
Mancina was 13 years old when he was diagnosed with a retinal degenerative disease. At the age of 22, he lost his vision completely and almost gave up on his passion to skateboard.
Mancina has been skateboarding since he was seven, but he thought that the rapid onset of blindness would mean he would be forced to give it up.
He managed to get back on showing plenty of courage over time. In the initial days after he went blind, Mancina struggled with depression. However, with training, he was able to regain his confidence.
Mancina says getting back on my board gave him the ability to have confidence in his blindness and to express himself again.
Mancina is active on Instagram where he has shared photos of himself cross-country skiing, chopping firewood, and riding roller-coasters. His Instagram account is poignantly accompanied by the tagline blind and changing how people see.
Videos of him are shared widely online and just recently, skating legend Tony Hawk shared his admiration for Mancina's achievements.
Mancina hopes to one day build a skate park designed for blind people.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News