Blind skateboarder Dan Mancina is dramatically changing perceptions regarding disability!
Skateboarding requires truckloads of nerves, coordination, and agility. So, imagine the level of skill and confidence a visually impaired person would need on a skateboard! Which is what makes Dan Mancina such a remarkable guy.
Mancina was 13 years old when he was diagnosed with a retinal degenerative disease. At the age of 22, he lost his vision completely and almost gave up on his passion to skateboard.
Mancina has been skateboarding since he was seven, but he thought that the rapid onset of blindness would mean he would be forced to give it up.
He managed to get back on showing plenty of courage over time. In the initial days after he went blind, Mancina struggled with depression. However, with training, he was able to regain his confidence.
Mancina says getting back on my board gave him the ability to have confidence in his blindness and to express himself again.
Mancina is active on Instagram where he has shared photos of himself cross-country skiing, chopping firewood, and riding roller-coasters. His Instagram account is poignantly accompanied by the tagline blind and changing how people see.
Videos of him are shared widely online and just recently, skating legend Tony Hawk shared his admiration for Mancina's achievements.
Mancina hopes to one day build a skate park designed for blind people.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
October 19, 2018
- Cycling for children with autism, some information
October 19, 2018
- ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
October 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Accessibility October 19, 2018 Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Accessibility October 15, 2018 Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Accessibility October 13, 2018 Feedback sought on issues faced by visually impaired people while using PayTM
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Mental Illness
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News