Blind skateboarder Dan Mancina is dramatically changing perceptions regarding disability!
Skateboarding requires truckloads of nerves, coordination, and agility. So, imagine the level of skill and confidence a visually impaired person would need on a skateboard! Which is what makes Dan Mancina such a remarkable guy.
Mancina was 13 years old when he was diagnosed with a retinal degenerative disease. At the age of 22, he lost his vision completely and almost gave up on his passion to skateboard.
Mancina has been skateboarding since he was seven, but he thought that the rapid onset of blindness would mean he would be forced to give it up.
He managed to get back on showing plenty of courage over time. In the initial days after he went blind, Mancina struggled with depression. However, with training, he was able to regain his confidence.
Mancina says getting back on my board gave him the ability to have confidence in his blindness and to express himself again.
Mancina is active on Instagram where he has shared photos of himself cross-country skiing, chopping firewood, and riding roller-coasters. His Instagram account is poignantly accompanied by the tagline blind and changing how people see.
Videos of him are shared widely online and just recently, skating legend Tony Hawk shared his admiration for Mancina's achievements.
Mancina hopes to one day build a skate park designed for blind people.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Events February 21, 2019 In- Visible
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Events February 21, 2019 Free Medical Camp
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News