Blind skateboarder Dan Mancina is dramatically changing perceptions regarding disability!
Skateboarding requires truckloads of nerves, coordination, and agility. So, imagine the level of skill and confidence a visually impaired person would need on a skateboard! Which is what makes Dan Mancina such a remarkable guy.
Mancina was 13 years old when he was diagnosed with a retinal degenerative disease. At the age of 22, he lost his vision completely and almost gave up on his passion to skateboard.
Mancina has been skateboarding since he was seven, but he thought that the rapid onset of blindness would mean he would be forced to give it up.
He managed to get back on showing plenty of courage over time. In the initial days after he went blind, Mancina struggled with depression. However, with training, he was able to regain his confidence.
Mancina says getting back on my board gave him the ability to have confidence in his blindness and to express himself again.
Mancina is active on Instagram where he has shared photos of himself cross-country skiing, chopping firewood, and riding roller-coasters. His Instagram account is poignantly accompanied by the tagline blind and changing how people see.
Videos of him are shared widely online and just recently, skating legend Tony Hawk shared his admiration for Mancina's achievements.
Mancina hopes to one day build a skate park designed for blind people.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Singer Mika Singh detained& released in Dubai over sexual harassment allegations
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Wedding preparations of Mukesh Ambani's daughter begin
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News