Accesso is world's first app that gives disabled people a chance to report accessibility violations
It is called Accesso and the app could well show the way to the rest of the world on how to raise the bar when it comes to fighting for accessibility rights.
Fed up with the obstacles in his home country Portugal, wheelchair user Ricardo Teixeira has launched the app to give disabled people the chance to fight back and instantly report violation.
Accesso has been developed with Portugal’s disability charity Salvador Association. It is believed to be the world’s first app that allows users to file official complaints against public buildings and businesses that do not meet accessibility laws.
Teixeira, who is a digital entrepreneur has been a tetraplegic since the age of 18. He came up with the idea after a bad experience during his wedding anniversary party at a restaurant, which called itself accessible.
However, the restaurant was not accessible and it led him to think of developing a mechanism that would enable disabled people to complain about violations.
Accesso is a free app and covers all of Portugal. It identifies the user’s location on an interactive map that shows all nearby buildings. In a single click, the user can select a shop or restaurant and rate it based on its accessibility. He can mention if it has an adapted toilet, parking or a ramp, and fill in a complaint form.
While there are many apps that can be used to rate buildings in accessibility, Accesso lets you report violations, which is new.
Complaints sent through the app instantly reach the respective city councils and the National Institute for Rehabilitation, responsible for upholding accessibility laws. The process takes less than five minutes.
Since the app was introduced, 95 complaints have been filed.
Perhaps, an app like this in India would help disabled people exercise their rights to a barrier-free life too!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Headlines November 21, 2018 India Vs Australia Twenty20 International series begins today
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Image of 'Statue of Unity' from space released by American company
- Get-hooked November 18, 2018 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 21, 2018 What causes autism? Some information
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Priyanka to get married in Jodhpur, preparations are on
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018