5 yoga poses that are effective for children on the autism spectrum
June 19, 2018
Yoga is a great form of exercise for everyone, adults and kids. It helps prevent or reduce the risk of various diseases and improves health and well-being.
There are reports that yoga can also assist children with autism, which is a neurological and developmental disorder that affects communication and behaviour.
Autism is a lifelong disorder. There is currently no specific standard treatment. Treatments and services, including therapy, can help improve a person's symptoms and ability to function. Research shows that yoga can be of great benefit to children with autism. It helps by lowering anxiety, improving focus and concentration, improving social connectedness and body awareness as well as bring about a positive sense of self.
Here are five yoga poses that are good for children with autism:
- Tree Pose or Vrikshasana - Helps develop concentration and improves balance. Also strengthens the ankles, calves, and thighs.
- Warrior Pose or Virabhadrasana - Increases focus, balance and improves concentration. It stretches the chest, lungs, shoulders, neck and belly.
- Lion's Breath or Simha Pranayama - Stretches muscles in the face, relieves tension and tightness while improving circulation. It also helps to ease the mind and boost confidence.
- Downward Facing Dog Pose or Adho Mukha Svanasana - Stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands. It strengthens the arms and legs too. The pose also helps to calm the brain and relieve stress.
- Cat/Cow Pose or Marjaryasana/Bitilasana - Massages the internal organs and spine. Also increases the flexibility of the neck and shoulder.
While yoga helps people of all ages, do practice under the guidance of an expert.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News