Her experiences battling disability motivated Amudha to work for the poor
42-year-old S Amudhashanthy from Madurai is the epitome of strength, determination and all things awesome! As a disabled girl from a poor family, Amudha never got the opportunity to study. But she was determined to fight for every opportunity that came her way.
As a child, Amudha never got to enter the gates of a school. But a kind relative’s neighbour guided her to the Sivasailam Asraman in Tirunelveli where she studied and went on to do a B.A in commerce.
In 2005, Amudha launched the Thiyagam Women’s Trust to offer vocational training to underprivileged women. The trust helps women find jobs after successful completion of the course.
In 2007, she even started holding free tuition classes for underprivileged students in Madurai. Here kids are taught higher studies, behavioural lessons and even counselling. Nearly 9,000 students have already benefitted from her classes.
Amudha and her team have been making sure that underprivileged girls are not married off by 18 years without completing their education. Many families want to get rid of their girl children because they are seen as a burden. Amudha interferes in such cases and ensures that the girl child is given an education and finds a job for herself!
Amudha is truly an inspiration to all the women out there. She shows how much a woman can do with just very less resources. All you need is the heart and a willpower to help the needy.
Watch in Sign Language
- Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
February 10, 2019
- Workshop on disability confidence at the workplace sees frank exchange of ideas
February 4, 2019
- Latest study points out only 36% of disabled people in India are employed
February 4, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News