Her experiences battling disability motivated Amudha to work for the poor
June 21, 2018
42-year-old S Amudhashanthy from Madurai is the epitome of strength, determination and all things awesome! As a disabled girl from a poor family, Amudha never got the opportunity to study. But she was determined to fight for every opportunity that came her way.
As a child, Amudha never got to enter the gates of a school. But a kind relative's neighbour guided her to the Sivasailam Asraman in Tirunelveli where she studied and went on to do a B.A in commerce.
In 2005, Amudha launched the Thiyagam Women's Trust to offer vocational training to underprivileged women. The trust helps women find jobs after successful completion of the course.
In 2007, she even started holding free tuition classes for underprivileged students in Madurai. Here kids are taught higher studies, behavioural lessons and even counselling. Nearly 9,000 students have already benefitted from her classes.
Amudha and her team have been making sure that underprivileged girls are not married off by 18 years without completing their education. Many families want to get rid of their girl children because they are seen as a burden. Amudha interferes in such cases and ensures that the girl child is given an education and finds a job for herself!
Amudha is truly an inspiration to all the women out there. She shows how much a woman can do with just very less resources. All you need is the heart and a willpower to help the needy.
Watch in Sign Language
- #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
April 4, 2019
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News