Her experiences battling disability motivated Amudha to work for the poor
June 21, 2018
42-year-old S Amudhashanthy from Madurai is the epitome of strength, determination and all things awesome! As a disabled girl from a poor family, Amudha never got the opportunity to study. But she was determined to fight for every opportunity that came her way.
As a child, Amudha never got to enter the gates of a school. But a kind relative's neighbour guided her to the Sivasailam Asraman in Tirunelveli where she studied and went on to do a B.A in commerce.
In 2005, Amudha launched the Thiyagam Women's Trust to offer vocational training to underprivileged women. The trust helps women find jobs after successful completion of the course.
In 2007, she even started holding free tuition classes for underprivileged students in Madurai. Here kids are taught higher studies, behavioural lessons and even counselling. Nearly 9,000 students have already benefitted from her classes.
Amudha and her team have been making sure that underprivileged girls are not married off by 18 years without completing their education. Many families want to get rid of their girl children because they are seen as a burden. Amudha interferes in such cases and ensures that the girl child is given an education and finds a job for herself!
Amudha is truly an inspiration to all the women out there. She shows how much a woman can do with just very less resources. All you need is the heart and a willpower to help the needy.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Archana Palahalli believes in facing odds with a smile
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News