Autism not a barrier for national swimming champ Bhavik Atwal
Bhavik Atwal's dedication and commitment is truly admirable. This national swimming champion from Jalandhar is totally focused on winning the world title.
Bhavik was diagnosed with autism when he was three years old. His parents were shattered when they heard about his condition. That has changed to pride given his sporting achievements.
Bhavik has won three silver medals in national and state games and is the only disabled child from Jalandhar to make it to the national swimming team. He was among the six to be selected from Punjab for the national-level championship and the only one from Jalandhar.
Bhavik has been staying in Ahmedabad with his mother for the last few years. His parents decided to shit him there as the city has the best facilities when it comes to studies, treatment and therapies.
His father, Vikram, runs a small dhaba where he earns between Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000 a month. The money, he says, is barely enough given that he spends Rs 40,000 on Bhavik's treatment.
Given the huge expenditure on his treatment, Bhavik's family is worried about supporting his future goals in sports. His father wants him to play for the World Olympics and hopes to all he can to help his son fulfil his dream.
Watch in Sign Language
- Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
December 18, 2018
- Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
December 17, 2018
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Events December 17, 2018 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 13, 2018
Parasports December 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018