Autism not a barrier for national swimming champ Bhavik Atwal
Bhavik Atwal's dedication and commitment is truly admirable. This national swimming champion from Jalandhar is totally focused on winning the world title.
Bhavik was diagnosed with autism when he was three years old. His parents were shattered when they heard about his condition. That has changed to pride given his sporting achievements.
Bhavik has won three silver medals in national and state games and is the only disabled child from Jalandhar to make it to the national swimming team. He was among the six to be selected from Punjab for the national-level championship and the only one from Jalandhar.
Bhavik has been staying in Ahmedabad with his mother for the last few years. His parents decided to shit him there as the city has the best facilities when it comes to studies, treatment and therapies.
His father, Vikram, runs a small dhaba where he earns between Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000 a month. The money, he says, is barely enough given that he spends Rs 40,000 on Bhavik's treatment.
Given the huge expenditure on his treatment, Bhavik's family is worried about supporting his future goals in sports. His father wants him to play for the World Olympics and hopes to all he can to help his son fulfil his dream.
Watch in Sign Language
- India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
October 22, 2018
- Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
October 22, 2018
- Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Abhyan Centre steps in to lend a hand to disabled teenagers
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Education October 18, 2018 Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports October 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News