Autism not a barrier for national swimming champ Bhavik Atwal
June 21, 2018
Bhavik Atwal's dedication and commitment is truly admirable. This national swimming champion from Jalandhar is totally focused on winning the world title.
Bhavik was diagnosed with autism when he was three years old. His parents were shattered when they heard about his condition. That has changed to pride given his sporting achievements.
Bhavik has won three silver medals in national and state games and is the only disabled child from Jalandhar to make it to the national swimming team. He was among the six to be selected from Punjab for the national-level championship and the only one from Jalandhar.
Bhavik has been staying in Ahmedabad with his mother for the last few years. His parents decided to shit him there as the city has the best facilities when it comes to studies, treatment and therapies.
His father, Vikram, runs a small dhaba where he earns between Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000 a month. The money, he says, is barely enough given that he spends Rs 40,000 on Bhavik's treatment.
Given the huge expenditure on his treatment, Bhavik's family is worried about supporting his future goals in sports. His father wants him to play for the World Olympics and hopes to all he can to help his son fulfil his dream.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News