It's Dravet Syndrome Awareness Day today
Dravet syndrome is a rare form of epilepsy that begins when the child is a baby. The condition causes seizures that are hard to control. There is no cure for Dravet syndrome, but medication provides relief.
Signs of Dravet syndrome
Typically, the first sign is a seizure that comes when the baby has a fever. This is called a febrile seizure. However, many babies have these seizures and don’t get Dravet syndrome. So, this symptom alone does not mean your child will get the condition.
After the first febrile seizure, children with Dravet syndrome tend to have many seizures. Some may last many minutes, or they have a series of seizures. Some seizures affect only one side of the body.
Babies with Dravet syndrome also have seizures that are not necessarily linked to a fever. Children with the condition can get a seizure when their body temperature rises. This could be due to a hot bath or a hot day, even when they are not ill. Some other triggers are bright light, stress, or too much excitement.
Most children with Dravet syndrome develop some level of developmental disability. They usually develop like everyone else in the early years. After the age of two, they may lose certain developmental milestones, and experience more seizures.
Around the age of six years, cognitive issues in some children might stabilize or even begin improving. The majority of children with Dravet syndrome however, experience some degree of developmental disability that persists.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some driving tips for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Protestors block activist Trupti Desai who was headed to Sabarimala
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Get-hooked November 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News