It's Dravet Syndrome Awareness Day today
June 23, 2018
Dravet syndrome is a rare form of epilepsy that begins when the child is a baby. The condition causes seizures that are hard to control. There is no cure for Dravet syndrome, but medication provides relief.
Signs of Dravet syndrome
Typically, the first sign is a seizure that comes when the baby has a fever. This is called a febrile seizure. However, many babies have these seizures and don't get Dravet syndrome. So, this symptom alone does not mean your child will get the condition.
After the first febrile seizure, children with Dravet syndrome tend to have many seizures. Some may last many minutes, or they have a series of seizures. Some seizures affect only one side of the body.
Babies with Dravet syndrome also have seizures that are not necessarily linked to a fever. Children with the condition can get a seizure when their body temperature rises. This could be due to a hot bath or a hot day, even when they are not ill. Some other triggers are bright light, stress, or too much excitement.
Most children with Dravet syndrome develop some level of developmental disability. They usually develop like everyone else in the early years. After the age of two, they may lose certain developmental milestones, and experience more seizures.
Around the age of six years, cognitive issues in some children might stabilize or even begin improving. The majority of children with Dravet syndrome however, experience some degree of developmental disability that persists.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Children with autism more prone to sleep problems, says focused study
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 26, 2019 PM Modi biopic earns 3 crore
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 #BeingMom - In empowering her daughter, Sangeetha John's life became richer
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Events May 26, 2019 31st International Conference on Cancer Research and therapy
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News