Guidebooks in Braille will help visually impaired people in Rajasthan to exercise their voting rights
The Election Commission is going all out to make voting inclusive in the upcoming assembly elections in Rajasthan! At the office of the state election commission, officials are giving the final touches to election booklets. The booklets state the rights and rules for voters clearly. What makes them different this time is that they are in Braille.
The Rajasthan election department is working around the theme of Sugam Matadan or convenient polling. The aim is to get disabled voters out of their homes so they can cast their votes.
The department kicked off the process by taking records from the social justice department to get a fix on how many disabled voters there are in the state.
As per polling figures, only 17,000 disabled voters cast their votes in the last election. This time, the election department is carrying out a special initiative for the visually impaired voters.
The department is also asking its officials to help visually impaired voters by dropping the booklets off at their homes. Those who are physically disabled will be given wheelchairs at identified booths.
Ramps are being set up at such booths and special staff who can guide and help disabled voters will be deputed. There will be a priority lane for disabled voters so they don't have to wait in line.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Sneakers designed by Virat Kohli launched in India
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Accessibility October 21, 2018
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News