Guidebooks in Braille will help visually impaired people in Rajasthan to exercise their voting rights
The Election Commission is going all out to make voting inclusive in the upcoming assembly elections in Rajasthan! At the office of the state election commission, officials are giving the final touches to election booklets. The booklets state the rights and rules for voters clearly. What makes them different this time is that they are in Braille.
The Rajasthan election department is working around the theme of Sugam Matadan or convenient polling. The aim is to get disabled voters out of their homes so they can cast their votes.
The department kicked off the process by taking records from the social justice department to get a fix on how many disabled voters there are in the state.
As per polling figures, only 17,000 disabled voters cast their votes in the last election. This time, the election department is carrying out a special initiative for the visually impaired voters.
The department is also asking its officials to help visually impaired voters by dropping the booklets off at their homes. Those who are physically disabled will be given wheelchairs at identified booths.
Ramps are being set up at such booths and special staff who can guide and help disabled voters will be deputed. There will be a priority lane for disabled voters so they don't have to wait in line.
Watch in Sign Language
- The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
December 11, 2018
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News