Guidebooks in Braille will help visually impaired people in Rajasthan to exercise their voting rights
June 23, 2018
The Election Commission is going all out to make voting inclusive in the upcoming assembly elections in Rajasthan! At the office of the state election commission, officials are giving the final touches to election booklets. The booklets state the rights and rules for voters clearly. What makes them different this time is that they are in Braille.
The Rajasthan election department is working around the theme of Sugam Matadan or convenient polling. The aim is to get disabled voters out of their homes so they can cast their votes.
The department kicked off the process by taking records from the social justice department to get a fix on how many disabled voters there are in the state.
As per polling figures, only 17,000 disabled voters cast their votes in the last election. This time, the election department is carrying out a special initiative for the visually impaired voters.
The department is also asking its officials to help visually impaired voters by dropping the booklets off at their homes. Those who are physically disabled will be given wheelchairs at identified booths.
Ramps are being set up at such booths and special staff who can guide and help disabled voters will be deputed. There will be a priority lane for disabled voters so they don't have to wait in line.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
April 22, 2019
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on career growth & planning for people with visual impairments
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Pragya Thakur sparks controversy with her statements, gets court notice
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News