Guidebooks in Braille will help visually impaired people in Rajasthan to exercise their voting rights
June 23, 2018
The Election Commission is going all out to make voting inclusive in the upcoming assembly elections in Rajasthan! At the office of the state election commission, officials are giving the final touches to election booklets. The booklets state the rights and rules for voters clearly. What makes them different this time is that they are in Braille.
The Rajasthan election department is working around the theme of Sugam Matadan or convenient polling. The aim is to get disabled voters out of their homes so they can cast their votes.
The department kicked off the process by taking records from the social justice department to get a fix on how many disabled voters there are in the state.
As per polling figures, only 17,000 disabled voters cast their votes in the last election. This time, the election department is carrying out a special initiative for the visually impaired voters.
The department is also asking its officials to help visually impaired voters by dropping the booklets off at their homes. Those who are physically disabled will be given wheelchairs at identified booths.
Ramps are being set up at such booths and special staff who can guide and help disabled voters will be deputed. There will be a priority lane for disabled voters so they don't have to wait in line.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News