Guidebooks in Braille will help visually impaired people in Rajasthan to exercise their voting rights
The Election Commission is going all out to make voting inclusive in the upcoming assembly elections in Rajasthan! At the office of the state election commission, officials are giving the final touches to election booklets. The booklets state the rights and rules for voters clearly. What makes them different this time is that they are in Braille.
The Rajasthan election department is working around the theme of Sugam Matadan or convenient polling. The aim is to get disabled voters out of their homes so they can cast their votes.
The department kicked off the process by taking records from the social justice department to get a fix on how many disabled voters there are in the state.
As per polling figures, only 17,000 disabled voters cast their votes in the last election. This time, the election department is carrying out a special initiative for the visually impaired voters.
The department is also asking its officials to help visually impaired voters by dropping the booklets off at their homes. Those who are physically disabled will be given wheelchairs at identified booths.
Ramps are being set up at such booths and special staff who can guide and help disabled voters will be deputed. There will be a priority lane for disabled voters so they don't have to wait in line.
Watch in Sign Language
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Impure alcohol kills 82 in U.P, Uttarakhand
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019