Deaf wrestlers from Haryana makes India shine at world championship
17-year-old Ritik Umeed is among the three deaf wrestlers from Haryana who won laurels for India at the 5th World Deaf Wrestling Championship, held in Russia from 11 to 19 June.
Ritik and Ajay Kumar won bronze medals in the 65kg freestyle and 51kg freestyle in cadet category, while 19-year-old Amit Krishan won gold in the 70kg junior category.
All the three wrestlers are former students of the Haryana Welfare Society for Persons with Speech and Hearing Impairment. This is a government-supported NGO, which has eight centres across the state.
Ritik, who studied at the Welfare Centre for Persons with Speech and Hearing Impairment in Gurugram, took up wrestling as a recreational sport and soon found himself competing.
Ritik comes from a poor family in Jhajjar, and has nine siblings. His mother and a sister are also deaf. His father, who is a farmer, struggles to make ends meet.
During Ritik’s matches, there are no whistles to signal the end of a play or a point. Deaf wrestlers are given a slight nudge by the referees instead.
The Haryana government has officially recognised deaf athletes. The government will track them at every stage of their career.
Watch in Sign Language
- Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
October 21, 2018
- Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
October 18, 2018
- India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
October 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Abhyan Centre steps in to lend a hand to disabled teenagers
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports October 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News