Narendra Modi government ad campaign regarding steps taken for disabled people found to have some errors
An advertisement campaign released by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) claiming nine achievements made for disabled people has been found to be full of some errors.
One claim was found to be false, six true and two are uncertain.
The six that have been found to be true are:
- Reservations for disabled people in government jobs up from 3% to 4%.
- Insurance cover of Rs one lakh for people with autism, cerebral palsy and other disabilities.
- Over six lakh disabled people have benefitted from 5,790 camps.
- Access audit of 1,662 important buildings in 50 cities completed till date.
- 644 railway stations have been made accessible.
- All 34 international and all domestic airports have been made accessible.
However, the claim that a scheme was launched in November 2014 to provide scholarship to pursue technical education to disabled people is not true. While disabled students are offered scholarships from the trust fund and national fund to pursue technical education, the schemes were launched before the BJP came to power in 2014.
The Modi government started pre-matric and post-matric scholarships for disabled students in 2014-15, but neither cover technical education.
There is uncertainty about the claim that 1,000 scholarships per year are available under the scholarship scheme. There is also no clarity about whether Rs 30,000 is given as tuition fee and RS 20,000 as contingency fee under the scholarship scheme.