From the wheelchair to the hockey field, Soorma tells the inspiring story of champ Sandeep Singh
June 25, 2018
The real life hero of the upcoming movie Soorma is international hockey player Sandeep Singh.
Sandeep was a talented player who was on his way to joining the national team for the World Cup in 2006 when he was severely injured by an accidental gun shot.
Sandeep was paralyzed and was in a wheelchair for two years.
However, Sandeep did not give up and decided to get back on feet and recover.
He made a comeback to international hockey in 2008. Under his captaincy, India won the 2009 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup and also qualified for the 2012 Olympics games.
Sandeep currently holds a DSP rank in the Haryana Police and wishes to encourage more youth in India to take up sports.
The biopic based on his life is to be released on 13 July and features Diljit Dosanjh in the role of Sandeep Singh.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News