This petrol pump in Gurugram has employed 6 deaf people!
Job opportunities for disabled people were once virtually non-existent. A change in attitude is gradually becoming visible. Take the case of a petrol pump in Gurugram where a vast number of employees are deaf.
Akash, Irfan, Vikas, Shakil, Anoop, and Sunil are deaf employees who work at the Janta filling station near Dronacharya Metro Station in Gurugram. There are special sign boards with instructions for customers so they can work smoothly.
The pump is run by Abhishek Gupta, whose father was associated with a deaf institute in Haryana. Gupta says he got the idea from his father and is very happy with the productivity levels of his workers.
Gupta planned to train them for more than two weeks, but they learned the ropes in just three days!They interact with customers and handle the financial aspects of the job without any difficulties.
All the six workers say that the customers are extremely helpful and understanding once they realise that they are dealing with deaf people. Initially they are nervous but now they are celebrating the sense of achievement and independence.
Watch in Sign Language
- Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
February 10, 2019
- Workshop on disability confidence at the workplace sees frank exchange of ideas
February 4, 2019
- Latest study points out only 36% of disabled people in India are employed
February 4, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News