This petrol pump in Gurugram has employed 6 deaf people!
June 26, 2018
Job opportunities for disabled people were once virtually non-existent. A change in attitude is gradually becoming visible. Take the case of a petrol pump in Gurugram where a vast number of employees are deaf.
Akash, Irfan, Vikas, Shakil, Anoop, and Sunil are deaf employees who work at the Janta filling station near Dronacharya Metro Station in Gurugram. There are special sign boards with instructions for customers so they can work smoothly.
The pump is run by Abhishek Gupta, whose father was associated with a deaf institute in Haryana. Gupta says he got the idea from his father and is very happy with the productivity levels of his workers.
Gupta planned to train them for more than two weeks, but they learned the ropes in just three days!They interact with customers and handle the financial aspects of the job without any difficulties.
All the six workers say that the customers are extremely helpful and understanding once they realise that they are dealing with deaf people. Initially they are nervous but now they are celebrating the sense of achievement and independence.
Watch in Sign Language
- #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
April 4, 2019
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News