Blind cricket association pulls up BCCI for not fulfilling promises
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is being asked tough questions by the Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI). This is after the BCCI has failed to meet even one of the many promises it made after the Indian blind cricket team won the World Cup for the fifth time in a row.
The Indian team lifted the world cup in January, beating Pakistan.
At the CABI's eighth Annual General Meeting held in Bengaluru, all the 22 affiliated units expressed their shock and disappointment that the BCCI had not lived up to the promises made.
- Promise #1 - The BCCI had promised to give CABI a grant of Rs one crore. Of this, only Rs 25 lakh has been received.
- Promise #2 - BCCI had promised to provide ground facilities, support staff, pension to former blind cricketers, and make their travel arrangements for tournaments. This has not happened.
- Promise #3 - BCCI president Anurag Thakur had said the board would grant Rs 1 crore every year to CABI for five years after the Indian blind cricket team won their second T20I World Cup. So, far the BCCI has not responded to any emails on this.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News