Disabled Delhi teenager gets prosthetic limbs under RTE
Did you know that under the Right to Education (RTE) Act, all children in India are entitled to an education? The laws apply to all kids, with and without disability. Yet few people are aware of this, leave alone fight for it.
16-year-old Ritik Kohli has shown the way. Thanks to his determination, this young boy has been provided with prosthetic limbs that are free of cost by the Delhi government under RTE Act. The Act stresses that the government must provide free medical aid and education to disabled students.
This Class 9 student is very excited about starting this new chapter in his life. Born with bilateral elbow disarticulation, which is a congenital deficiency, Ritik cannot move his hands since birth.
Ritik’s lawyer, who fought for this young boy at court, is equally excited. He says that this is the first time that a student has fought for RTE, along with disability rights.
Born to daily wage workers Ramwati and Mahendra Kumar, Ritik had a tough childhood trying to study. His mother had to quit working after Ritik’s birth. Now, she is happy that Ritik will be able to manage on his own.
This teenager is an aspiring artist as well. He hopes to paint beautiful pictures once he gets used to his prosthetic limbs! An ardent fan of Lord Shiva, Ritik wants to paint more sketches of Shiva and maybe even do an exhibition? We just cannot wait to see!
Watch in Sign Language
- Some driving tips for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News