Disabled Delhi teenager gets prosthetic limbs under RTE
June 27, 2018
Did you know that under the Right to Education (RTE) Act, all children in India are entitled to an education? The laws apply to all kids, with and without disability. Yet few people are aware of this, leave alone fight for it.
16-year-old Ritik Kohli has shown the way. Thanks to his determination, this young boy has been provided with prosthetic limbs that are free of cost by the Delhi government under RTE Act. The Act stresses that the government must provide free medical aid and education to disabled students.
This Class 9 student is very excited about starting this new chapter in his life. Born with bilateral elbow disarticulation, which is a congenital deficiency, Ritik cannot move his hands since birth.
Ritik's lawyer, who fought for this young boy at court, is equally excited. He says that this is the first time that a student has fought for RTE, along with disability rights.
Born to daily wage workers Ramwati and Mahendra Kumar, Ritik had a tough childhood trying to study. His mother had to quit working after Ritik's birth. Now, she is happy that Ritik will be able to manage on his own.
This teenager is an aspiring artist as well. He hopes to paint beautiful pictures once he gets used to his prosthetic limbs! An ardent fan of Lord Shiva, Ritik wants to paint more sketches of Shiva and maybe even do an exhibition? We just cannot wait to see!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News