Disabled Delhi teenager gets prosthetic limbs under RTE
Did you know that under the Right to Education (RTE) Act, all children in India are entitled to an education? The laws apply to all kids, with and without disability. Yet few people are aware of this, leave alone fight for it.
16-year-old Ritik Kohli has shown the way. Thanks to his determination, this young boy has been provided with prosthetic limbs that are free of cost by the Delhi government under RTE Act. The Act stresses that the government must provide free medical aid and education to disabled students.
This Class 9 student is very excited about starting this new chapter in his life. Born with bilateral elbow disarticulation, which is a congenital deficiency, Ritik cannot move his hands since birth.
Ritik’s lawyer, who fought for this young boy at court, is equally excited. He says that this is the first time that a student has fought for RTE, along with disability rights.
Born to daily wage workers Ramwati and Mahendra Kumar, Ritik had a tough childhood trying to study. His mother had to quit working after Ritik’s birth. Now, she is happy that Ritik will be able to manage on his own.
This teenager is an aspiring artist as well. He hopes to paint beautiful pictures once he gets used to his prosthetic limbs! An ardent fan of Lord Shiva, Ritik wants to paint more sketches of Shiva and maybe even do an exhibition? We just cannot wait to see!
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News