Disabled Delhi teenager gets prosthetic limbs under RTE
June 27, 2018
Did you know that under the Right to Education (RTE) Act, all children in India are entitled to an education? The laws apply to all kids, with and without disability. Yet few people are aware of this, leave alone fight for it.
16-year-old Ritik Kohli has shown the way. Thanks to his determination, this young boy has been provided with prosthetic limbs that are free of cost by the Delhi government under RTE Act. The Act stresses that the government must provide free medical aid and education to disabled students.
This Class 9 student is very excited about starting this new chapter in his life. Born with bilateral elbow disarticulation, which is a congenital deficiency, Ritik cannot move his hands since birth.
Ritik's lawyer, who fought for this young boy at court, is equally excited. He says that this is the first time that a student has fought for RTE, along with disability rights.
Born to daily wage workers Ramwati and Mahendra Kumar, Ritik had a tough childhood trying to study. His mother had to quit working after Ritik's birth. Now, she is happy that Ritik will be able to manage on his own.
This teenager is an aspiring artist as well. He hopes to paint beautiful pictures once he gets used to his prosthetic limbs! An ardent fan of Lord Shiva, Ritik wants to paint more sketches of Shiva and maybe even do an exhibition? We just cannot wait to see!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News