Egmore government museum is all set to become disabled friendly!
June 29, 2018
Recently, Egmore government museum in Chennai declared that they are all set to become disabled friendly. This initiative was lauded by disabled people, activists and NGO's across Tamil Nadu. This museum that hosts a huge collection of Roman antiquities outside Rome, is one of the largest museums in India!
The Egmore government museum boasts of artefacts from archaeology, Amravati paintings, palm leaf manuscripts, numismatics, zoology, natural history and sculpture as well. The museum is even more special because it is one of the oldest museums in India!
Recently, the government of India decided to make Egmore museum disabled friendly under the Accessible India campaign. Apart from the government museum, authorities have decided to make the Chennai Collectorate disabled friendly as well. People with disabilities will be provided with a barrier free environment in these building premises.
We are going to ensure that all the latest assistive devices are provided to make the museum barrier-free. A tactile path will be introduced inside buildings and across the campus as well. Self operative chairs will be provided so that people can easily cross all the steps inside our buildings. Lift and ramp facilities, Braille boards, special toilets and an exclusive special parking for disabled people will also be introduced- says Kavitha R, Director of the government Egmore museum.
The entire campus will be upgraded with an amphitheatre and museum plaza in order to make the place more vibrant and disabled friendly even after working hours!
Authorities had to face quite a few challenges in order to make it fully accessible.
We had to bring in assistive devices and work on it without closing down the museum. So the works are currently happening while we have visitors every day. Adhering to the heritage norms was also a challenge- adds Kavita.
The museum will be made fully accessible by 2019. Once it is open, disabled people can visit the museum with their family and friends.
Nothing like spending a day amidst rich heritage and revisiting the past!
Watch in Sign Language
- A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
March 21, 2019
- Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
March 20, 2019
- Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
March 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News