Wheelchair surgeon Mary Verghese in book on 13 women who have made a global impact
June 30, 2018
Mary Puthisseril Verghese was an Indian physician who was among the earliest to pioneer physical medicine and rehabilitation in the country.
She is among the 13 women to be featured in the book She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History, which has been written by Chelsea Clinton, activist and daughter to former United States president Bill Clinton.
The book pays a tribute to 13 women who have made a global impact, and includes Marie Curie, author J.K. Rowling, Malala Yousafzai along with Dr Verghese.
In a statement. Clinton said that she wanted the stories of these women to empower kids to use their voices and dreams to shape the world around them in a positive way.
Dr Verghese became paralyzed from the waist down in a road accident when she was working as a gynaecologist in Kerala. She went on to head the first fully functional physical rehabilitation unit in India. She was involved in providing rehabilitation services for people with spinal cord injuries, leprosy, and brain injuries. She passed away in 1986.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News