Some things to consider when talking to people with autism
Autism is a disorder that affects millions of people across the world. Autism is a developmental disorder that may affect the ability of a person to communicate and interact with others. Lack of awareness about autism has created a stigma around it.
If you are interacting with a person or child with autism, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Do not make stereotype assumptions about the person by asking them about their maths skills. Every person with autism is different and has different skills and interests.
Do not express surprise if the person with autism has a job or is in a relationship. There is nothing weird or strange about it. People with autism are just people like everyone else and have a life too!
Do not compare one person with autism with another. People are not the same and everyone is born different.
Do not feel sorry for someone who has autism. Encourage and stay positive around people with autism instead of being negative.
It is not right to ask a person, what it is like to have autism. The question is insensitive and targets the person in a negative manner.
- Worse than everything would be to ignore a person with autism as if they do not exist. You might not get a response when you talk with them, but that doesn’t mean they do not wish to be social. Be patient with people with autism and do not give upon them!
Watch in Sign Language
- Some common misconceptions about Braille
January 24, 2019
- Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
January 23, 2019
- The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
- Headlines January 24, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi joins politics, gets key role
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News