Some things to consider when talking to people with autism
Autism is a disorder that affects millions of people across the world. Autism is a developmental disorder that may affect the ability of a person to communicate and interact with others. Lack of awareness about autism has created a stigma around it.
If you are interacting with a person or child with autism, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Do not make stereotype assumptions about the person by asking them about their maths skills. Every person with autism is different and has different skills and interests.
Do not express surprise if the person with autism has a job or is in a relationship. There is nothing weird or strange about it. People with autism are just people like everyone else and have a life too!
Do not compare one person with autism with another. People are not the same and everyone is born different.
Do not feel sorry for someone who has autism. Encourage and stay positive around people with autism instead of being negative.
It is not right to ask a person, what it is like to have autism. The question is insensitive and targets the person in a negative manner.
- Worse than everything would be to ignore a person with autism as if they do not exist. You might not get a response when you talk with them, but that doesn’t mean they do not wish to be social. Be patient with people with autism and do not give upon them!
Watch in Sign Language
- Some driving tips for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 18, 2018 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
- Technology November 19, 2018 Artificial Intelligence makes a huge impact in lives of disabled people
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News