Some things to consider when talking to people with autism
July 6, 2018
Autism is a disorder that affects millions of people across the world. Autism is a developmental disorder that may affect the ability of a person to communicate and interact with others. Lack of awareness about autism has created a stigma around it.
If you are interacting with a person or child with autism, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Do not make stereotype assumptions about the person by asking them about their maths skills. Every person with autism is different and has different skills and interests.
Do not express surprise if the person with autism has a job or is in a relationship. There is nothing weird or strange about it. People with autism are just people like everyone else and have a life too!
Do not compare one person with autism with another. People are not the same and everyone is born different.
Do not feel sorry for someone who has autism. Encourage and stay positive around people with autism instead of being negative.
It is not right to ask a person, what it is like to have autism. The question is insensitive and targets the person in a negative manner.
- Worse than everything would be to ignore a person with autism as if they do not exist. You might not get a response when you talk with them, but that doesn't mean they do not wish to be social. Be patient with people with autism and do not give upon them!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News