Some things to consider when talking to people with autism
July 6, 2018
Autism is a disorder that affects millions of people across the world. Autism is a developmental disorder that may affect the ability of a person to communicate and interact with others. Lack of awareness about autism has created a stigma around it.
If you are interacting with a person or child with autism, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Do not make stereotype assumptions about the person by asking them about their maths skills. Every person with autism is different and has different skills and interests.
Do not express surprise if the person with autism has a job or is in a relationship. There is nothing weird or strange about it. People with autism are just people like everyone else and have a life too!
Do not compare one person with autism with another. People are not the same and everyone is born different.
Do not feel sorry for someone who has autism. Encourage and stay positive around people with autism instead of being negative.
It is not right to ask a person, what it is like to have autism. The question is insensitive and targets the person in a negative manner.
- Worse than everything would be to ignore a person with autism as if they do not exist. You might not get a response when you talk with them, but that doesn't mean they do not wish to be social. Be patient with people with autism and do not give upon them!
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News