Some things to consider when talking to people with autism
July 6, 2018
Autism is a disorder that affects millions of people across the world. Autism is a developmental disorder that may affect the ability of a person to communicate and interact with others. Lack of awareness about autism has created a stigma around it.
If you are interacting with a person or child with autism, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Do not make stereotype assumptions about the person by asking them about their maths skills. Every person with autism is different and has different skills and interests.
Do not express surprise if the person with autism has a job or is in a relationship. There is nothing weird or strange about it. People with autism are just people like everyone else and have a life too!
Do not compare one person with autism with another. People are not the same and everyone is born different.
Do not feel sorry for someone who has autism. Encourage and stay positive around people with autism instead of being negative.
It is not right to ask a person, what it is like to have autism. The question is insensitive and targets the person in a negative manner.
- Worse than everything would be to ignore a person with autism as if they do not exist. You might not get a response when you talk with them, but that doesn't mean they do not wish to be social. Be patient with people with autism and do not give upon them!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events May 26, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Bollywood actors hail PM Modi for historic win
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Children with autism more prone to sleep problems, says focused study
- Employment May 27, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kerala unhappy over denial of scheme for self-employment
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Accessibility May 26, 2019 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News