Scientists develop 'deep learning' robots to empower & enable children with autism
It can often be quite challenging for therapists to engage with a child on the autism spectrum for even a few seconds. Now, they can look forward to some help from NAO, the deep thinking robot!
Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the United States have developed a new type of deep learning network that could work with robots and enable them to monitor the quality of their interactions with children with autism. It does by using data specific to each child.
Autism spectrum disorder is a condition related to brain development. It affects how a person perceives and socializes with others, leading to problems in social interaction and communication. The term spectrum refers to the wide range of symptoms and severity.
With the help of personalized deep learning, the child-friendly robot, called NAO can easily estimate the engagement and interest of each child, using data unique to that particular individual, based on a study performed on 35 children with autism.
The long-term goal is not to replace human therapists with robots, but to support them with key information that the therapists can use to personalize the therapy content. It will also help make interactions more natural and engaging.
The robot-assisted therapy involves a human therapist showing flash-cards of different faces expressing different emotions, like happiness, sadness and fear. A programmed robot or NAO then shows the same emotions to the child. The therapist observes how the child engages with the robot and gets feedback on how the lesson is to be taken further.
NAO is a two feet tall robot which looks like a armoured superhero. It conveys different emotions by changing its eye colour, limb-motion and the tone of its voice.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018