Singapore introduces beach wheelchairs, in a major step to boost inclusion
Singapore's beaches have mostly been inaccessible to people using wheelchairs. Well, that has changed now with the city state introducing floating beach wheelchairs!
The wheelchairs were introduced at outdoor activity centre Water-Venture (Pasir Ris) on the occasion of Inclusive Play Day, which seeks to promote the inclusion of persons with disabilities in social settings.
The Pasir Ris centre will have 10 beach wheelchairs on trial. These are only available for organisations who want to use them. They are not to be used by the public for now.
The beach wheelchairs are in blue, white and yellow colours and come fitted with large yellow rubber wheels which allow them to roll on sandy beaches. Two large flotation devices, which double as armrests, let the wheelchairs bob about in the water. Each wheelchair will require a caregiver to push it into the water.
About 30 disabled people had a chance to try the wheelchairs on the day it was launched.
Such wheelchairs are already in use in countries like Mexico, Spain and France.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 18, 2018 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Image of 'Statue of Unity' from space released by American company
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018