Poor accessibility at places of worship in Delhi comes under the spotlight
July 2, 2018
Religion is a key part of life for many Indians. However, most places of worship in India are inaccessible to people with disabilities. This goes for most of our temples, gurdwaras, mosques and churches. Delhi seems to be moving in the right direction. The state is all set to make sure that all places of worship are made disabled-friendly at the earliest!
TD Dhariyal, the State Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities in Delhi has asked all district authorities to give him an audit of disabled-friendly places of worship in the state. The report will be submitted by the first week of July.
Dhariyal said that everyone has the right to worship and also visit places of worship. Nobody must be denied that right. In order to ensure that, the government will do all that it takes to make all places of worship disabled-friendly.
Some of the popular accessible places of worship in Delhi are Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Hanuman Mandir and Ganesh Mandir complexes, Sacred Heart Cathedral and the Bhoori Bhatyari Masjid.
Watch in Sign Language
- 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
May 26, 2019
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Understanding Phantom Limb Pain
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Bollywood actors hail PM Modi for historic win
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News