Poor accessibility at places of worship in Delhi comes under the spotlight
July 2, 2018
Religion is a key part of life for many Indians. However, most places of worship in India are inaccessible to people with disabilities. This goes for most of our temples, gurdwaras, mosques and churches. Delhi seems to be moving in the right direction. The state is all set to make sure that all places of worship are made disabled-friendly at the earliest!
TD Dhariyal, the State Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities in Delhi has asked all district authorities to give him an audit of disabled-friendly places of worship in the state. The report will be submitted by the first week of July.
Dhariyal said that everyone has the right to worship and also visit places of worship. Nobody must be denied that right. In order to ensure that, the government will do all that it takes to make all places of worship disabled-friendly.
Some of the popular accessible places of worship in Delhi are Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Hanuman Mandir and Ganesh Mandir complexes, Sacred Heart Cathedral and the Bhoori Bhatyari Masjid.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Twitter hashtag sets off important conversation about worst disability "compliments"
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Accommodating Diversities
- Education July 9, 2019 Online petition seeks rehab of deaf youth affected by closing down of training centre
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 Rising Flame launches leadership programme for women with disabilities
- Parasports July 10, 2019 National level para sportsperson Garima Joshi risks losing home, appeals for financial help
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News