Bombay High Court directs Mumbai municipal corporation to hire more people with disabilities
July 3, 2018
The Bombay High Court has stepped in and ordered the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to hire 82 people with disabilities, who have been waiting for ages for a post in the city municipal corporation.
Among them is Vinoda Pujari, a postgraduate in Marathi literature, but who decided to apply for the post of a female attendent for lack of job opportunities. The BMC had a vacancy for blind women candidates, but Vinoda did not get the job.
Same was the case with 21-year-old Milind Bhalerao. This visually impaired college student applied for a job as a worker in the Class IV category, but was rejected because he is blind.
Now they have some hope of getting a job in the BMC after the court intervention. Many of them were declared fit after medical tests but were still rejected.
They are now waiting to see what kind of jobs the BMC will assign them to.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Learn valuable self-defense techniques at this session for disabled women in Mumbai
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Disabled boy's long fight for a village school pays off, Prime Minister Modi's office intervenes
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Need more movies to portray disability in a sensitive manner, say activists
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 With 'Get Going', Chennai NGO Vidya Sagar aims to get disabled people out & about
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News