Election Commission's new disabled-friendly portal to focus on voter education, participation
The Election Commission of India is determined to become inclusive in every way! Apart from making the voting process accessible on the ground, the ECI has launched a voter education and electoral participation portal. This has a section dedicated to people with disabilities.
The launch comes in the context of a two-day national consultation programme on issues relating to the inclusion of disabled people in the poll process.
The programme, which is called Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in the Electoral Process is being organised to come up with a national policy on the issue.
After the consultation, a report on challenges along with action points will be prepared. Among those taking part in this are government officials, representatives from political parties, NGOs, and experts.
Under the EC’s Strategic Plan 2016-2025, greater participation of disabled people in the electoral process is one of the core objectives.
This year, the EC declared Accessible Elections as the theme for the National Voters Day on 25 January. .
The EC had earlier conducted consultations at the district level across India to identify the barriers, challenges and possible solutions. The results were documented and taken up at state-level consultations.
A series of disabled-friendly measures were taken up in Delhi, Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Bihar, Assam, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh.
Watch in Sign Language
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
- I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
November 12, 2018
- Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
November 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Prafull Oorja on a mission to bring yoga to lives of disabled children
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Patanjali launches first clothing store
- Parasports November 7, 2018 India's wheelchair basketball players get tips from the best in the game at Chennai camp
- Accessibility November 10, 2018 Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Sabarimala remains turbulent as communal tenions continue
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News