Election Commission's new disabled-friendly portal to focus on voter education, participation
July 3, 2018
The Election Commission of India is determined to become inclusive in every way! Apart from making the voting process accessible on the ground, the ECI has launched a voter education and electoral participation portal. This has a section dedicated to people with disabilities.
The launch comes in the context of a two-day national consultation programme on issues relating to the inclusion of disabled people in the poll process.
The programme, which is called Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in the Electoral Process is being organised to come up with a national policy on the issue.
After the consultation, a report on challenges along with action points will be prepared. Among those taking part in this are government officials, representatives from political parties, NGOs, and experts.
Under the EC's Strategic Plan 2016-2025, greater participation of disabled people in the electoral process is one of the core objectives.
This year, the EC declared Accessible Elections as the theme for the National Voters Day on 25 January. .
The EC had earlier conducted consultations at the district level across India to identify the barriers, challenges and possible solutions. The results were documented and taken up at state-level consultations.
A series of disabled-friendly measures were taken up in Delhi, Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Bihar, Assam, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh.
Watch in Sign Language
- A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
March 21, 2019
- Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
March 20, 2019
- Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
March 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Need more movies to portray disability in a sensitive manner, say activists
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Nearly a month after Sambuddha Ghosh's death, family struggles for answers
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News