Election Commission's new disabled-friendly portal to focus on voter education, participation
July 3, 2018
The Election Commission of India is determined to become inclusive in every way! Apart from making the voting process accessible on the ground, the ECI has launched a voter education and electoral participation portal. This has a section dedicated to people with disabilities.
The launch comes in the context of a two-day national consultation programme on issues relating to the inclusion of disabled people in the poll process.
The programme, which is called Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in the Electoral Process is being organised to come up with a national policy on the issue.
After the consultation, a report on challenges along with action points will be prepared. Among those taking part in this are government officials, representatives from political parties, NGOs, and experts.
Under the EC's Strategic Plan 2016-2025, greater participation of disabled people in the electoral process is one of the core objectives.
This year, the EC declared Accessible Elections as the theme for the National Voters Day on 25 January. .
The EC had earlier conducted consultations at the district level across India to identify the barriers, challenges and possible solutions. The results were documented and taken up at state-level consultations.
A series of disabled-friendly measures were taken up in Delhi, Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Bihar, Assam, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
- Events May 15, 2019 Summer Camp 2019
- Events May 14, 2019 Winter School: Fostering Research in Disability
- Events May 15, 2019 Music Therapy Workshop
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Events May 15, 2019 Free Webinar - All About Autism: Education & Daily Living
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 In a first, people with disabilities attend the famous Thrissur Pooram
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Some tips to support children with multiple disabilities
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked April 30, 2019