Election Commission's new disabled-friendly portal to focus on voter education, participation
July 3, 2018
The Election Commission of India is determined to become inclusive in every way! Apart from making the voting process accessible on the ground, the ECI has launched a voter education and electoral participation portal. This has a section dedicated to people with disabilities.
The launch comes in the context of a two-day national consultation programme on issues relating to the inclusion of disabled people in the poll process.
The programme, which is called Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in the Electoral Process is being organised to come up with a national policy on the issue.
After the consultation, a report on challenges along with action points will be prepared. Among those taking part in this are government officials, representatives from political parties, NGOs, and experts.
Under the EC's Strategic Plan 2016-2025, greater participation of disabled people in the electoral process is one of the core objectives.
This year, the EC declared Accessible Elections as the theme for the National Voters Day on 25 January. .
The EC had earlier conducted consultations at the district level across India to identify the barriers, challenges and possible solutions. The results were documented and taken up at state-level consultations.
A series of disabled-friendly measures were taken up in Delhi, Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Bihar, Assam, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Events August 14, 2019 Deaf short film Festival 2019
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Events August 13, 2019 Inclusive Walkathon
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News