Election Commission's new disabled-friendly portal to focus on voter education, participation
The Election Commission of India is determined to become inclusive in every way! Apart from making the voting process accessible on the ground, the ECI has launched a voter education and electoral participation portal. This has a section dedicated to people with disabilities.
The launch comes in the context of a two-day national consultation programme on issues relating to the inclusion of disabled people in the poll process.
The programme, which is called Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in the Electoral Process is being organised to come up with a national policy on the issue.
After the consultation, a report on challenges along with action points will be prepared. Among those taking part in this are government officials, representatives from political parties, NGOs, and experts.
Under the EC’s Strategic Plan 2016-2025, greater participation of disabled people in the electoral process is one of the core objectives.
This year, the EC declared Accessible Elections as the theme for the National Voters Day on 25 January. .
The EC had earlier conducted consultations at the district level across India to identify the barriers, challenges and possible solutions. The results were documented and taken up at state-level consultations.
A series of disabled-friendly measures were taken up in Delhi, Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Bihar, Assam, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
January 24, 2019
- Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
January 24, 2019
- From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
January 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Headlines January 21, 2019 PM launches National Museum of Indian Cinema
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
- Events January 18, 2019 Rapid & Blitz Chess Tournament
- Parasports January 24, 2019 Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News