Panjab University cell proposes tuition, exam fees for disabled students
In a major proposal to boost higher education opportunities for students with disabilities, the Equal Opportunity (EO) cell of the Panjab University has suggested that the university should exempt all disabled students from paying tuition, examination and other charges.
Some of the other suggestions are that disabled students be exempt from paying hostel fees and be given a 50% discount on food. The EO cell says that this should be given to all disabled students, regardless of their financial status and nature of disability.
The proposal will be tabled in the syndicate meeting on 7 July.
Dr Sanjeev Gautam, who is the Coordinator of the EO cell says that this is needed to promote higher education among people with disabilities, who are denied such opportunities given the high costs of living. It is also hard for parents of such students to afford the assistive devices needed for studying, mobility and accommodation.
The Panjab University has already increased the disability reservation from 3 to 5% in accordance with Indian government guidelines. Of this, 1% will be reserved for categories under the RPWD Act 2016. . This law recognizes locomotor, visual, hearing, speech, intellectual, and mental disabilities, besides those due to chronic neurological conditions.
The list also includes blood disorders such as haemophilia, thalassaemia, and sickle-cell disease. Earlier, only cases of blindness or low vision, hearing impairment, and locomotor disability or cerebral palsy were considered for reservation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 Children with autism find a ray of hope at Sunshine in Bengaluru
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education October 20, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News