Panjab University cell proposes tuition, exam fees for disabled students
July 4, 2018
In a major proposal to boost higher education opportunities for students with disabilities, the Equal Opportunity (EO) cell of the Panjab University has suggested that the university should exempt all disabled students from paying tuition, examination and other charges.
Some of the other suggestions are that disabled students be exempt from paying hostel fees and be given a 50% discount on food. The EO cell says that this should be given to all disabled students, regardless of their financial status and nature of disability.
The proposal will be tabled in the syndicate meeting on 7 July.
Dr Sanjeev Gautam, who is the Coordinator of the EO cell says that this is needed to promote higher education among people with disabilities, who are denied such opportunities given the high costs of living. It is also hard for parents of such students to afford the assistive devices needed for studying, mobility and accommodation.
The Panjab University has already increased the disability reservation from 3 to 5% in accordance with Indian government guidelines. Of this, 1% will be reserved for categories under the RPWD Act 2016. . This law recognizes locomotor, visual, hearing, speech, intellectual, and mental disabilities, besides those due to chronic neurological conditions.
The list also includes blood disorders such as haemophilia, thalassaemia, and sickle-cell disease. Earlier, only cases of blindness or low vision, hearing impairment, and locomotor disability or cerebral palsy were considered for reservation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Technology June 27, 2019 #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
- Education June 27, 2019 #ChangeMakers - Sonia Jaitley believes in helping children with disabilities unlock their strengths
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News