West Bengal Election Commission ropes in disability rights activist Jeeja Ghosh as brand ambassador!
July 4, 2018
Jeeja Ghosh, the disability rights activist from West Bengal is popular for speaking up for rights of disabled people in the country. This young woman with Cerebral Palsy is all set to become the new face of the election commission (EC) of West Bengal!
EC plans to rope in Jeeja to speak to disabled people and make them aware of their rights to vote. The West Bengal government is gearing up for an accessible election drive where in all disabled people takes part in the formation of the government.
An official from EC said that they have already spoken to Jeeja regarding the matter, and she has agreed to it as well. She has also ensured that she will do her best to make more disabled come forward to take part in the formation of the government. Once Jeeja comes on-board, she can inspire and encourage thousands of disabled people to enrol into the voters list.
EC has sent this proposal to the Chief Election Commissioner for approval.
Jeeja is currently working as a faculty member at Kolkata's Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy (IICP).
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News