Braille voter IDs, among the many steps, announced by EC to make elections accessible!
In a significant step towards making elections in India inclusive, the Election Commission of India has launched voter identity cards with Braille label. The cards, called Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC), will have Braille on it. This is one of the many ways the ECI wants to ensure greater participation of visually impaired and blind people in the electoral process.
The ECI has also launched a strategic framework on Accessible Elections. All this came at the end of a two-day national level consultation with representatives of the central government, political parties, NGOs and experts on disabilities.
Chief Election Commissioner O.P. Rawat announced a series of measures for people with disabilities. These include:
- Printing of photo ID cards with Braille
- Accessible communication awareness materials
- A mobile phone app to motivate & educate the voters
- Appointment of Disability Coordinates at the Assembly constituency, district and State levels.
- Step by step training on accessibility to poll officials
- Set up auxiliary polling stations
- Provide accessible photo voter slips
- Sign-language window in all audio visual training and advertisement content material for deaf people.
- Free transport facility to people with disabilities and their assistants.
That is a lot of steps! Apart from this, a new Accessible Division in the India International Institute of Democracy and Electoral Management will also be set up.
Watch in Sign Language
- #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
November 19, 2018
- Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
November 18, 2018
- MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Headlines November 18, 2018 India-Australia cricket series to begin on 21 November
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Women's World T20 - India on top of Group B after beating Australia
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News