Braille voter IDs, among the many steps, announced by EC to make elections accessible!
In a significant step towards making elections in India inclusive, the Election Commission of India has launched voter identity cards with Braille label. The cards, called Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC), will have Braille on it. This is one of the many ways the ECI wants to ensure greater participation of visually impaired and blind people in the electoral process.
The ECI has also launched a strategic framework on Accessible Elections. All this came at the end of a two-day national level consultation with representatives of the central government, political parties, NGOs and experts on disabilities.
Chief Election Commissioner O.P. Rawat announced a series of measures for people with disabilities. These include:
- Printing of photo ID cards with Braille
- Accessible communication awareness materials
- A mobile phone app to motivate & educate the voters
- Appointment of Disability Coordinates at the Assembly constituency, district and State levels.
- Step by step training on accessibility to poll officials
- Set up auxiliary polling stations
- Provide accessible photo voter slips
- Sign-language window in all audio visual training and advertisement content material for deaf people.
- Free transport facility to people with disabilities and their assistants.
That is a lot of steps! Apart from this, a new Accessible Division in the India International Institute of Democracy and Electoral Management will also be set up.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Accessibility February 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News