Braille voter IDs, among the many steps, announced by EC to make elections accessible!
July 5, 2018
In a significant step towards making elections in India inclusive, the Election Commission of India has launched voter identity cards with Braille label. The cards, called Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC), will have Braille on it. This is one of the many ways the ECI wants to ensure greater participation of visually impaired and blind people in the electoral process.
The ECI has also launched a strategic framework on Accessible Elections. All this came at the end of a two-day national level consultation with representatives of the central government, political parties, NGOs and experts on disabilities.
Chief Election Commissioner O.P. Rawat announced a series of measures for people with disabilities. These include:
- Printing of photo ID cards with Braille
- Accessible communication awareness materials
- A mobile phone app to motivate & educate the voters
- Appointment of Disability Coordinates at the Assembly constituency, district and State levels.
- Step by step training on accessibility to poll officials
- Set up auxiliary polling stations
- Provide accessible photo voter slips
- Sign-language window in all audio visual training and advertisement content material for deaf people.
- Free transport facility to people with disabilities and their assistants.
That is a lot of steps! Apart from this, a new Accessible Division in the India International Institute of Democracy and Electoral Management will also be set up.
Watch in Sign Language
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
- Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News