Where's your heart, BMC? 30 disabled kids, adults locked out of municipal-run day care centre in Mumbai
July 6, 2018
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is India's richest municipal body, with a budget that is much bigger than some of the country's smaller states. But clearly, when it comes to compassion, it is poor.
What else can explain the BMC's act of locking out 30 disabled children and adults for over six hours from their day care centre at Kalina, a Mumbai suburb? The group had to go without access to a washroom or drinking water as well.
When the group came to the centre, they found the locks of the day care centre changed. A board bearing the name of the institution, Cerebral Palsy Association of India (CPAI) , was torn down as well. They had to wait outside for hours until their bus could take them home.
Authorities at the CPAI said they have no idea why this was done. The centre has its papers in place. In April this year, the management was given 48 hours to vacate the premises as the BMC officials needed a new office. Even if the centre is on BMC land, the management says they should have been treated with more respect.
There are 56 people ranging in age from six to 60 years who are enrolled in the day care centre. It provides therapy to those afflicted with cerebral palsy, autism and deafness, among other disabilities. The centre is open Monday to Friday, between 10 am and 4.30 pm. It has benefitted many adults and children, especially kids that mainstream educational institutions could not accommodate.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News