Where's your heart, BMC? 30 disabled kids, adults locked out of municipal-run day care centre in Mumbai
July 6, 2018
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is India's richest municipal body, with a budget that is much bigger than some of the country's smaller states. But clearly, when it comes to compassion, it is poor.
What else can explain the BMC's act of locking out 30 disabled children and adults for over six hours from their day care centre at Kalina, a Mumbai suburb? The group had to go without access to a washroom or drinking water as well.
When the group came to the centre, they found the locks of the day care centre changed. A board bearing the name of the institution, Cerebral Palsy Association of India (CPAI) , was torn down as well. They had to wait outside for hours until their bus could take them home.
Authorities at the CPAI said they have no idea why this was done. The centre has its papers in place. In April this year, the management was given 48 hours to vacate the premises as the BMC officials needed a new office. Even if the centre is on BMC land, the management says they should have been treated with more respect.
There are 56 people ranging in age from six to 60 years who are enrolled in the day care centre. It provides therapy to those afflicted with cerebral palsy, autism and deafness, among other disabilities. The centre is open Monday to Friday, between 10 am and 4.30 pm. It has benefitted many adults and children, especially kids that mainstream educational institutions could not accommodate.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News