Where's your heart, BMC? 30 disabled kids, adults locked out of municipal-run day care centre in Mumbai
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is India's richest municipal body, with a budget that is much bigger than some of the country's smaller states. But clearly, when it comes to compassion, it is poor.
What else can explain the BMC's act of locking out 30 disabled children and adults for over six hours from their day care centre at Kalina, a Mumbai suburb? The group had to go without access to a washroom or drinking water as well.
When the group came to the centre, they found the locks of the day care centre changed. A board bearing the name of the institution, Cerebral Palsy Association of India (CPAI) , was torn down as well. They had to wait outside for hours until their bus could take them home.
Authorities at the CPAI said they have no idea why this was done. The centre has its papers in place. In April this year, the management was given 48 hours to vacate the premises as the BMC officials needed a new office. Even if the centre is on BMC land, the management says they should have been treated with more respect.
There are 56 people ranging in age from six to 60 years who are enrolled in the day care centre. It provides therapy to those afflicted with cerebral palsy, autism and deafness, among other disabilities. The centre is open Monday to Friday, between 10 am and 4.30 pm. It has benefitted many adults and children, especially kids that mainstream educational institutions could not accommodate.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019