Supreme Court lays out directions for rehabilitation of leprosy patients
July 6, 2018
The Supreme Court has passed a set of directions that aim to facilitate the rehabilitation of people who have undergone treatment for leprosy.
The court also spoke against the discriminatory statutes against leprosy patients. Due to lack of awareness about the disease, there is a huge stigma around it in India.
Most people are not aware that leprosy has a cure and can be treated through medication and care.
The court has issued some instructions that need to be followed by the center and state government to ensure the rehabilitation of leprosy patients. Some of these are instructions are:
- The centre government will carry out awareness campaigns at various levels to let people know that leprosy is curable.
- All India Radio and Doordarshan on National and regional channels should broadcast programs that give out information about leprosy. The programs will be used to let people know that leprosy is not a communicable disease.
- Hospitals cannot deny treatment to people with leprosy.
- The governments at centre and states will undertake activities and schemes to ensure rehabilitation of leprosy patients.
- The governments will also be responsible for eradicating the stigma associated with leprosy in the Indian society.
The courts has asked the Centre and the State governments to follow up on the instructions and submit compliance reports regarding their implementation.
The court will reconvene over this matter on 8 August.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
- Headlines March 22, 2019 BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Headlines March 25, 2019 New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 21, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News