Supreme Court lays out directions for rehabilitation of leprosy patients
July 6, 2018
The Supreme Court has passed a set of directions that aim to facilitate the rehabilitation of people who have undergone treatment for leprosy.
The court also spoke against the discriminatory statutes against leprosy patients. Due to lack of awareness about the disease, there is a huge stigma around it in India.
Most people are not aware that leprosy has a cure and can be treated through medication and care.
The court has issued some instructions that need to be followed by the center and state government to ensure the rehabilitation of leprosy patients. Some of these are instructions are:
- The centre government will carry out awareness campaigns at various levels to let people know that leprosy is curable.
- All India Radio and Doordarshan on National and regional channels should broadcast programs that give out information about leprosy. The programs will be used to let people know that leprosy is not a communicable disease.
- Hospitals cannot deny treatment to people with leprosy.
- The governments at centre and states will undertake activities and schemes to ensure rehabilitation of leprosy patients.
- The governments will also be responsible for eradicating the stigma associated with leprosy in the Indian society.
The courts has asked the Centre and the State governments to follow up on the instructions and submit compliance reports regarding their implementation.
The court will reconvene over this matter on 8 August.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Urmi Foundation helps disabled kids from poor communities get access to education
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News