Now available, an Android app for Indian Sign Language!
July 7, 2018
This is great news for Indians who are deaf and hard of hearing! The Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University (RKMVU) in Coimbatore has partnered with C-DAC, Hyderabad to convert the existing General Sign Language Dictionary to an app.
The words in the sign language dictionary are used in daily life for communication. These have been converted as videos to an app with translation in 11 Indian languages. This has been done with financial support from CBM India Trust in Bengaluru.
The app will be a godsend for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. It will help them and others to communicate in sign language.
The app has been developed by the Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE) at the RKMVU. This is a pioneer in disability rehabilitation, education and management. Under the Department of Hearing Impairment of FDMSE, there is a Sign Language Unit which is working to promote and develop sign language.
The FDMSE offers many long term and short term courses for developing manpower in the field of education and rehabilitation of children with hearing impairment. The unit is also active in the research and development of various aspects of sign language.
The FDMSE released a General Indian Sign Language Dictionary that has words used in daily life for communication. The dictionary is in print, CD and online.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Events June 27, 2019 Thalassemia Detection Camp
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Education June 27, 2019 #ChangeMakers - Sonia Jaitley believes in helping children with disabilities unlock their strengths
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News