Now available, an Android app for Indian Sign Language!
This is great news for Indians who are deaf and hard of hearing! The Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University (RKMVU) in Coimbatore has partnered with C-DAC, Hyderabad to convert the existing General Sign Language Dictionary to an app.
The words in the sign language dictionary are used in daily life for communication. These have been converted as videos to an app with translation in 11 Indian languages. This has been done with financial support from CBM India Trust in Bengaluru.
The app will be a godsend for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. It will help them and others to communicate in sign language.
The app has been developed by the Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE) at the RKMVU. This is a pioneer in disability rehabilitation, education and management. Under the Department of Hearing Impairment of FDMSE, there is a Sign Language Unit which is working to promote and develop sign language.
The FDMSE offers many long term and short term courses for developing manpower in the field of education and rehabilitation of children with hearing impairment. The unit is also active in the research and development of various aspects of sign language.
The FDMSE released a General Indian Sign Language Dictionary that has words used in daily life for communication. The dictionary is in print, CD and online.
Watch in Sign Language
- Microsoft introduces real-time captions, translations to Skype, PowerPoint
December 17, 2018
- Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
December 10, 2018
- Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
December 5, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 17, 2018 Tycoons Rotary Marathon
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Events December 17, 2018 Blind Cricket League
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Events December 17, 2018 Workshop on Concessions and Benefits for Children with Hearing Loss
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018