Now available, an Android app for Indian Sign Language!
This is great news for Indians who are deaf and hard of hearing! The Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University (RKMVU) in Coimbatore has partnered with C-DAC, Hyderabad to convert the existing General Sign Language Dictionary to an app.
The words in the sign language dictionary are used in daily life for communication. These have been converted as videos to an app with translation in 11 Indian languages. This has been done with financial support from CBM India Trust in Bengaluru.
The app will be a godsend for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. It will help them and others to communicate in sign language.
The app has been developed by the Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE) at the RKMVU. This is a pioneer in disability rehabilitation, education and management. Under the Department of Hearing Impairment of FDMSE, there is a Sign Language Unit which is working to promote and develop sign language.
The FDMSE offers many long term and short term courses for developing manpower in the field of education and rehabilitation of children with hearing impairment. The unit is also active in the research and development of various aspects of sign language.
The FDMSE released a General Indian Sign Language Dictionary that has words used in daily life for communication. The dictionary is in print, CD and online.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Sneakers designed by Virat Kohli launched in India
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
- Events October 17, 2018 NAB Presents Interactive Meeting with a Global Leader in Accessibility
- Events October 21, 2018 Diwali Mela 2018
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News