Now available, an Android app for Indian Sign Language!
July 7, 2018
This is great news for Indians who are deaf and hard of hearing! The Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University (RKMVU) in Coimbatore has partnered with C-DAC, Hyderabad to convert the existing General Sign Language Dictionary to an app.
The words in the sign language dictionary are used in daily life for communication. These have been converted as videos to an app with translation in 11 Indian languages. This has been done with financial support from CBM India Trust in Bengaluru.
The app will be a godsend for people who are deaf and hard of hearing. It will help them and others to communicate in sign language.
The app has been developed by the Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE) at the RKMVU. This is a pioneer in disability rehabilitation, education and management. Under the Department of Hearing Impairment of FDMSE, there is a Sign Language Unit which is working to promote and develop sign language.
The FDMSE offers many long term and short term courses for developing manpower in the field of education and rehabilitation of children with hearing impairment. The unit is also active in the research and development of various aspects of sign language.
The FDMSE released a General Indian Sign Language Dictionary that has words used in daily life for communication. The dictionary is in print, CD and online.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News