How to teach about emotions to a child with autism
July 26, 2018
For children with autism, it is not always easy to be communicative with people around them. They tend to be isolated, with few friends. It has been found that understanding feelings and emotions of others can help children with autism relate to others. Here are some ideas to teach about feelings and emotions to a child with autism.
Start with basic emotions such as happy, sad, angry, crying.
Using pictures showing various emotions is a god idea. The pictures show faces of people with different emotions, sad, happy, angry and more.
Another great idea is to use stories to explain feelings. Children can earn a lot from stories based on life situations. Stories make an impact on the child's thinking and are also easy to remember. They can also be used to guide the child about how people react in different situations and their feelings.
Using Applied Behavioral Analysis is also effective in giving lessons about emotions. The child is taught with examples and then asked to respond.
What always works with children is learning through fun and play activities.
Some children with autism also prefer to learn using gadgets like computers and smartphones. Computer games can also be used to teach about various emotions.
- Give some time to the child to understand an emotion and then move to the next one.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Need more movies to portray disability in a sensitive manner, say activists
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News