How to teach about emotions to a child with autism
For children with autism, it is not always easy to be communicative with people around them. They tend to be isolated, with few friends. It has been found that understanding feelings and emotions of others can help children with autism relate to others. Here are some ideas to teach about feelings and emotions to a child with autism.
Start with basic emotions such as happy, sad, angry, crying.
Using pictures showing various emotions is a god idea. The pictures show faces of people with different emotions, sad, happy, angry and more.
Another great idea is to use stories to explain feelings. Children can earn a lot from stories based on life situations. Stories make an impact on the child’s thinking and are also easy to remember. They can also be used to guide the child about how people react in different situations and their feelings.
Using Applied Behavioral Analysis is also effective in giving lessons about emotions. The child is taught with examples and then asked to respond.
What always works with children is learning through fun and play activities.
Some children with autism also prefer to learn using gadgets like computers and smartphones. Computer games can also be used to teach about various emotions.
- Give some time to the child to understand an emotion and then move to the next one.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News