How to teach about emotions to a child with autism
July 26, 2018
For children with autism, it is not always easy to be communicative with people around them. They tend to be isolated, with few friends. It has been found that understanding feelings and emotions of others can help children with autism relate to others. Here are some ideas to teach about feelings and emotions to a child with autism.
Start with basic emotions such as happy, sad, angry, crying.
Using pictures showing various emotions is a god idea. The pictures show faces of people with different emotions, sad, happy, angry and more.
Another great idea is to use stories to explain feelings. Children can earn a lot from stories based on life situations. Stories make an impact on the child's thinking and are also easy to remember. They can also be used to guide the child about how people react in different situations and their feelings.
Using Applied Behavioral Analysis is also effective in giving lessons about emotions. The child is taught with examples and then asked to respond.
What always works with children is learning through fun and play activities.
Some children with autism also prefer to learn using gadgets like computers and smartphones. Computer games can also be used to teach about various emotions.
- Give some time to the child to understand an emotion and then move to the next one.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News