How to teach about emotions to a child with autism
July 26, 2018
For children with autism, it is not always easy to be communicative with people around them. They tend to be isolated, with few friends. It has been found that understanding feelings and emotions of others can help children with autism relate to others. Here are some ideas to teach about feelings and emotions to a child with autism.
Start with basic emotions such as happy, sad, angry, crying.
Using pictures showing various emotions is a god idea. The pictures show faces of people with different emotions, sad, happy, angry and more.
Another great idea is to use stories to explain feelings. Children can earn a lot from stories based on life situations. Stories make an impact on the child's thinking and are also easy to remember. They can also be used to guide the child about how people react in different situations and their feelings.
Using Applied Behavioral Analysis is also effective in giving lessons about emotions. The child is taught with examples and then asked to respond.
What always works with children is learning through fun and play activities.
Some children with autism also prefer to learn using gadgets like computers and smartphones. Computer games can also be used to teach about various emotions.
- Give some time to the child to understand an emotion and then move to the next one.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Rohit Sharma to lead India for West Indies series
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Noted Paralympian Deepa Malik aims to set a record in sea swimming
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News