15-year-old from Trichy wins 3 gold medals in Tamil Nadu Deaf Meet!
15-year-old Manikandan is a rising star in the field of para sports! This young lad, whose parents are farm labourers, has won three gold medals at the recent Tamil Nadu Deaf Junior Sports Meet.
For Manikandan, the win was a breeze given that he is already a national champion among deaf athletes in the 100m, 200m, high jump, and sprint categories. He is looking forward to showing his skills at the World Deaf Youth Games in Armenia in 2019.
His talents were recognised and fine-tuned thanks to N Ramesh Babu, a state government employee, who is hard of hearing. Babu accompanies Manikandan at every sports meet as an unofficial coach.
Ramesh Babu, who is a member of the Deaf Association in Trichy was approached by the boy's parents a few years ago. They asked him to help develop his sports talent and Babu was more than happy to help.
He used his funds to get Manikandan admitted to a government school that had good facilities for athletics training. Every time there is a sports meet in Tamil Nadu, Babu takes casual leave and goes along with Manikandan. The only time he could was for the national meet in Jharkhand last year, when he became the national champ.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News