15-year-old from Trichy wins 3 gold medals in Tamil Nadu Deaf Meet!
15-year-old Manikandan is a rising star in the field of para sports! This young lad, whose parents are farm labourers, has won three gold medals at the recent Tamil Nadu Deaf Junior Sports Meet.
For Manikandan, the win was a breeze given that he is already a national champion among deaf athletes in the 100m, 200m, high jump, and sprint categories. He is looking forward to showing his skills at the World Deaf Youth Games in Armenia in 2019.
His talents were recognised and fine-tuned thanks to N Ramesh Babu, a state government employee, who is hard of hearing. Babu accompanies Manikandan at every sports meet as an unofficial coach.
Ramesh Babu, who is a member of the Deaf Association in Trichy was approached by the boy's parents a few years ago. They asked him to help develop his sports talent and Babu was more than happy to help.
He used his funds to get Manikandan admitted to a government school that had good facilities for athletics training. Every time there is a sports meet in Tamil Nadu, Babu takes casual leave and goes along with Manikandan. The only time he could was for the national meet in Jharkhand last year, when he became the national champ.
Watch in Sign Language
- Jharkhand girls stand tall despite loss in first inter-state women’s blind cricket tournament
November 20, 2018
- Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy’s wheelchair cricket camp is a success
November 20, 2018
- Coach Jaspal Dhani on a mission to put India on the global map of wheelchair basketball
November 19, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
- Headlines November 21, 2018 Xiaomi to launch Redmi Note 6 Pro in India this week
- Parasports November 19, 2018 Coach Jaspal Dhani on a mission to put India on the global map of wheelchair basketball
- Events November 20, 2018 Basic Computer Training Program for Children & Adults with Special Needs
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Parasports November 20, 2018 Jharkhand girls stand tall despite loss in first inter-state women’s blind cricket tournament
- Headlines November 20, 2018 Amritsar grenade attack puts Punjab Police on the backfoot
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports November 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018