15-year-old from Trichy wins 3 gold medals in Tamil Nadu Deaf Meet!
July 10, 2018
15-year-old Manikandan is a rising star in the field of para sports! This young lad, whose parents are farm labourers, has won three gold medals at the recent Tamil Nadu Deaf Junior Sports Meet.
For Manikandan, the win was a breeze given that he is already a national champion among deaf athletes in the 100m, 200m, high jump, and sprint categories. He is looking forward to showing his skills at the World Deaf Youth Games in Armenia in 2019.
His talents were recognised and fine-tuned thanks to N Ramesh Babu, a state government employee, who is hard of hearing. Babu accompanies Manikandan at every sports meet as an unofficial coach.
Ramesh Babu, who is a member of the Deaf Association in Trichy was approached by the boy's parents a few years ago. They asked him to help develop his sports talent and Babu was more than happy to help.
He used his funds to get Manikandan admitted to a government school that had good facilities for athletics training. Every time there is a sports meet in Tamil Nadu, Babu takes casual leave and goes along with Manikandan. The only time he could was for the national meet in Jharkhand last year, when he became the national champ.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 27, 2019 Thalassemia Detection Camp
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Headlines June 27, 2019 PM responds to Jharkhand lynching
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News